Mrs

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I was on preds ten month after tapering been of them six weeks still getting side effects how long does it take

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

What were you taking the pred for? What was your dosage and how did you taper? Are they side effects of pred you are talking about or symptoms of whatever you were taking it for (PMR I assume)?

Polymyalgia usually lasts for at least two years, the average is closer to six and some have it for longer.

Anyone who has been on pred for several months will have to let their adrenal glands get back to normal (cortisol production) and I understand that can take up to a year.

• Posted

Was taking them for polymalgia started on 40 took them for two months then slowly started tapering each time I took less felt bad for a few days after I finished them all together was OK for about 5 days then started feeling awful with horrible symptoms after 6 weeks some days feel not to bad thinking its over then it's back again

• Posted

Sounds like it's still there simmering in the background. Perhaps a very low dose would be enough? Many doctors now think it perfectly okay for patients to stay indefinitely on a low dose (1 or 2 mg if that works to keep the symptoms at bay).

You will find a lot more people, and good advice and support, on a site called HealthUnlocked. This forum used to be excellent but after some ill-advised technical "improvements" most users have now left.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.