Mrs

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've just been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid gland and have been started on Carbimazole but I'm frightened I'm going to put weight on with it and reading the comments posted I think I'm justified in thinking this. Could going on a low Iodine diet reduce my throxine levels - has anyone tried this?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi stephanie41706, hope you are doing better and your treatment has worked. Unfortunately, a low Iodine diet is not a replacement for taking Carbimazole.

Iodine is an essential mineral and an Iodine deficient diet can cause thyroid disorders. Serious Iodine deficiency in pregnant women can cause congenital abnormalities (source: World Health Organization section on Iodine deficiency).

I was diagnosed with Graves' disease and am currently in remission and did not need Carbimazole for a few years. My endocrinologist never mentioned changing my diet. I would recommend a diet that ensures you get the recommended daily allowance of Iodine (140 micrograms source: NHS) However, I would avoid consuming excessive amounts of seaweed as these may contain a lot more than the daily allowance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.