MRV (migraineous related vertigo)

Posted , 11 users are following.

After lots of tests including balance and hearing tests and an MRI scan last year, I was diagnosed with MRV and take 30mg Nortrtptyline daily.   Despite this I still don't feel 'right' and not sure what to do.  My consultant discharged me.  My main problem is when I'm walking, I can feel that I'm off balance, being pulled to one side (usually the left) and I sometimes fear I'm going to faint or collapse which then causes me to panic and start getting palpitations.  I can't think what is causing these sensations.  Is there anyone who has similar to mine? 

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You may want to look into vertical hetrophia it is an eye condition.
    • Posted

I had my eyes checked for that on Wednesday, and all fine, even typing this now feel like I'm looking through a cloud if that makes sense
    • Posted

hi rocksolid  went to see Dr. she said there is a slight vertical imbalance........had alot of trouble being fitted for prisms...my glasses have been ordered ...so lets see.........
    • Posted

I will look into this thanks.  I had an Optimap done yesterday at my opticians and a visual fields test done and the optician will go over my tests and give me a call in the week.  The Optimap test I have to pay £25 for but apparently it is a very thorough test to see the eyes in detail and the back of the eyes and they can see more than the standard eye test that's done.
    • Posted

I hope it helps Rita thanks for the update. I just recently received my new glasses again and I think they helped but not perfect yet. Keep me updated.
    • Posted

A test for Verticle Heterphoria is very specific. Make sure you understand what it tests for so your eye doctor does not just tell you you are fine.

• Posted

Glad things are getting better for you....I sure hope this helps.....Yes.you were right glasses were a bit pricey...she also said I had astigmitism (spelling????) so IDK  
  • Posted

Nortriptyline stopped working for my migraines after a short time (even after increasing the dosage several times), so the doc tried me on a couple different meds. Topiramate worked really well for me. Perhaps talk to your doc about switching meds or increasing your dosage.
    • Posted

When my consultant discharged me she said if my symptoms persisted then I should visit my GP and get my dosage increased but I take so many tablets at the moment for other issues that I'm a bit reluctant to do this but I may have to, will wait a few more months and see.  It really knocks my confidence and sometimes feel I don't want to go out anywhere but I still have to hold a full time job and carry on with my life but after all the tests I've had I can't think what else I can do.  It has even crossed my mind whether they (the medics) have got it all wrong and even thought what if I have got MS or Parkinsons instead but surely with an MRI scan things like this would have been picked up? 
  • Posted

Thanks all for your replies, I feel reassured I'm not alone but I have thought have I got MS or Parkinsons and maybe they've got it all wrong - I just don't know what feeling 'normal' is nowadays.   This all started last March (2015) when one evening I just came over all dizzy out of the blue and thought I was going to faint which scared me.  I put it down to a one off incident until it started happening regularly so I thought I'd better get my eyes checked as I thought I might have a brain tumour but eyes were fine and nothing sinister had been picked up so then ended up at my GP and tried some vertigo medication and when that didn't work I was then referred to a consultant where I had all my tests done ie balance test, hearing test, blood tests, MRI and I think from the balance test I was diagnosed with MRV.  A year on I still don't feel like I did before my very first incident.  I find it all a bit baffling. 
    • Posted

Do you have it constantly, the off-balance feeling? I do, and have wondered if with MRV, you get them "between" migraines too. Heavy head pulling you to one side, very off-balance, feel like you are walking on a balance beam that's on a trampoline, as you say. Yup, that's me too. I didn't know nortriptyline helped with this... I thought it was just an anxiety medication.
    • Posted

I'm not sure how MS would be diagnosed but I would have thought an MRI head scan (which I've had) would pick up something on or in the brain which would point to MS but thankfully nothing was was picked up and mentioned.
    • Posted

nortriptyline is an old style antidepressant but used in lower doses as a neuropathic pain relief.
    • Posted

It can also be picked up in a blood test, as certain chemicals are released in all autoimmune diseases. Not infailable, but usually gets seen in a blood test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.