MS?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm having a few health concerns and the research that I've done suggests that I might have MS! I've booked a doctors appointment for next Tuesday but I wanted to check my symptoms on here to see if anyone else here has similar issues.

So I have been experiencing muscle fatiuge especially in my legs, they feel stiff and whilst I can still move without pain something just feels off. I have also been getting a lot of twitches throughout my whole body! This is probably the most worrying symptom that I experience. The twitches happen in my legs, back, shoulders and head.

Most of the twitches are muscle movements in a certain muscle (forehead, sholder etc) but occasionally both my legs jolt at the same time as if I've just been shocked in the lower back!

Speaking of being shocked, I sometimes feel like I've been electrocuted! It's hard to explain but I feel like ive just experienced a shock and I'm a bit shaky if that makes sense. Anyway does anyone here have these symptoms and does this sound like MS or some sort nervous system disorder?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i always recommend that people avoid researching health worries, themselves, as it's just too easy to get an idea into our heads, and then focus on that idea, like a self diagnosis. It's human nature, to 'connect the dots'. It's how we learn and how we understand pretty much everything. It makes us very creative, but it also leads us straight into, occasionally, looking for evidence, to take us to a particular 'destination'. While it's impossible to say, for certain, that you DON'T have MS, statistics are on your side.

Diagnosing MS isn't, generally, a quick process, as it's usual to show progression, over space AND time. MRI's are done, of the central nervous system, looking for lesions, demyelinisation (showing up as white marks, on the brain/spinal cord). Generally, a lumber puncture sample is taken, to look for oligoclonic bands.

I recommend keeping a journal of any ongoing health problems, they can be a handy reference point, should medical appointmentschool be attended.

Have you considered the possibility that what you're experiencing could be restless leg syndrome (the effects of which can be felt across more of the body than simply the legs?

• Posted

Thanks for your response, I know it isn't smart to search symptoms online but I can't help it! These issues have been going on a while so I decided to do a bit of research and MS seemed to be the one that came up most constantly. Restless leg syndrome also came up but I assumed that it was just an issue with legs and not the whole body? I'll look into that more now.

• Posted

If your 'electric shocks' occur when you tilt your head to look downwards and are experienced shooting down your legs, then this is L'Hermittes sign and is a textbook symptom. Doctors didn't make this link in me, despite having the symptoms described. Didn't find out until years later when diagnosing consultant told me it was a classic symptom.

Agree that you should log EVERYTHING!

• Posted

No I don't experience anything like that. I get a jolt in the bottom of my spine which moves my legs from time to time. These twitches don't hurt they're just worrying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.