Ms

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have just this week started on sulphalazine one tablet to increase to 4 over the next few weeks so far havent noticed any improvement even with the steroids as well can any one advise how long before i feel better as feel so poorly at moment

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Most DMARDs (Disease Modifying AntiRheumatic Drugs) take a few months to start to take effect and that is why steroids are often given at the same time to give faster relief of the inflammation. Some of your feeling so poorly is the disease process that is making your immune system attack your body and cause the inflammation and damage - and that often makes you feel as if you have flu during a flare of the disease activity.

If the steroids aren't helping after a week you should speak to your doctor - you may need a higher dose at first. Is the feeling poorly the arthritis - or is it the sulphasalazine? That must the considered too.

• Posted

i was going to comment on this but not sure if it's MS the lady was asking about which I couldn't comment on

• Posted

Sulphasalazine has been said in the past to have no role in management of MS - so I assume it is a typo. However - most drugs take time to do anything as we know!

• Posted

my brother in law has MS and it has been offered because it could possibly help to repair myelin but i don't have enough information to say yea or nay

• Posted

Yes, I saw that claim too - and it seems to be substantiated by more recent work. One can only hope. Is he trying it?

• Posted

I dont think so at the moment but if he does i wil definitely post.

i don't take anything but herbal for my RA and think I'm better off for it.

• Posted

RA meds normally take weeks to kick in and show any effect with pain and swelling. I would suggest asking your doctor for a course of steroids to kick-start and reduce your pain immediately

• Posted

Hi Diane,

I'm sorry you are going through this. As the others here have said, it can take weeks or even months for DMARDs to be effective. Meanwhile there is a balance we have to find between having patience in a process, but putting ourselves forward to get the care and advice we need, and making our progress more bearable, perhaps through use of appropriate pain relief, or possibly therapeutic activities.

Could you explain for us a little of what lead up to your diagnosis, what your diagnosis is, and what do you mean when you say you feel poorly? (What do you experience? Pain? Reduced ability? Nausea? Tiredness? Upset stomach? Changed mental function? Mental/emotional distress such as depression, anxiety, fear, confusion ...?)

We feel for you in trying to understand whatever you are going through relate it to our own knowledge or experience, and advice that could be of interest to you.

New symptoms might be side effects of a medication. These are not consistently experienced. Each of us may respond in a range of ways that make certain drugs or combinations either better or worse for us individually.

If you have some access to your rheumatology team, you should keep them informed when you feel unwell or try to tell them what has been going on when you do get to see them. Maybe keep a journal if this will help you to recall how you have been. If you are not well, at least see your general doctor. Unless they hear from you, your medical carers will remain unaware of your situation. They may need to review your treatment, or schedule future checks to ensure your symptoms do not indicate you are developing an adverse response, or other issues.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi, I've been on sulfasalazine for 15 years, I started like you they take time to work upto 3 months, I also was given naproxen by my GP which help, 15 years later still on the sulfasalazine but also a biological drug, Benepali, which works well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.