MS and TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Although I was diagnosed with MS in 2010 I am normally a fairly active person.

That was until I had TKR in February 2016.

It seemed all around me people my age (67) were having knees done and apparently seemed fine afterwards.

Mine is not the case. It's all been a nightmare. My general health has taken a real battering

It's been nearly 7 months and I'm reliant on crutches. The pain wakes me in the night. It's all far worse than how I was before the op. I'm practically crippled now.

I am aware that any kind of trauma to the body could spark a MS flare-up and I'm just hoping this is not the case.

However, it does make me think that the Anaesthetist

didn't even know I had MS even though I told the consultant.

Surely there should be more research done on ops for MS sufferers

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Mary,

i can so identify with you and hiw you are feeling.

i have Lupus Sle plus other auto amune illnesses.

untill now managed quite well considering, Iam also on a awful lot of meds.

ive had a tnr and can not beleave how I'll Iam feeling, lots of pain, no sleep other then a couple of hours, not one single ounce of energy, no appetite,

and feeling extremely low, and depressed, not like me at all.

have so much pain at the back if my knee, and in the calf of operated leg, unable to do any of the exercises due to pain, Iam really worried

• Posted

I take meds for RA that inhibit healing, yet I don't think I'll come through that much behind others.  All you can do is be patient, be careful how the pt people work on you so they don't set you back.  Many do  not understand when someone has another illness to deal with that they can't be run through a course of machines like they're  entering a marathon.  You should be on a long acting anti-inflammatory for at least 3 months.  Pain meds if needed.  I like pain patches with aspirin in them or lidocain.  I also talked to my RA doc about what to take and so on.  There are others to reach out to in the medical community if the surgeon isn't aware how you are doing.

• Posted

Hello Renee,

GP advises major surgery will take time to recover, body has been through a lot,

regards the surgery I don't get to see the consultant untill 6th October

will gave to see then what he thinks.

Physio nit seeing them untill 7th October.

with no chance of bringing appointments forward.

the London hospitals are so busy

• Posted

Hello Lynn.,

yes I also take meds that inhibit healing for Lupus, but the surgeon would only operate if they were stopped for 10 days before surgery, and one month after surgery, so of course that has not helped the Lupus, which then brings on a flare up, but what can you do, you have to do as they say, or no surgery

its very difficult, and I do agree maybe mire info on how extended recovery is...

• Posted

Alison I feel your pain. I live in US and am able to call the doctor's office and leave a message for the surgeon or his assistant. Sometimes they call back sometimes they don't. I worry about every ache or pain. Rest and recover. Good luck at your appointment. Don't let PT push you too hard. They can make it worse.

• Posted

I know Lupus requires much of the same medication that RA does, so wondering why they felt 4 weeks post op was necessary.  I was told 2 weeks before and two after.  Are you also able to use infusions for a situation like that to get the medication back in your system immediately?
    • Posted

The consultant who did my surgery would not under any circumstances operate if I did not stop drugs prior to surgery and for a month after would not risk surgery due to the chance of. infection.

also the same when I had surgery in December, same rules.

no infusion just go back on tablets.

was advised tablets would affect the healing process.

i think all consultants have there own ideas, 

In  my ward 3 people had same operation, 3. Different surgeons, all done differently.

• Posted

Oh no. You poor thing. I can't believe you've been suffering so much since your surgery? What does the surgeon or your MS doctor say? Surely they both must see how much worse off you are than before your TKR. My prayers go out to you to ease your suffering. Don't give up. There must be a doctor who can help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.