MS for twenty five years

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have chronic knee pain due to MS.Anyone got any suggestions?

thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark

I'm a wee bit confused as to why you have posted on the Glaucoma forum and not on the MS forum. Unlikely I could help you although I have chronic knee pain due to arthritis and other health issues, but perhaps if you post on either Arthritis or MS forums you may find a wealth of tips and helpful suggestions. Hope you find some helpĀ 

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth,

i take Amitriptyline 75mg nightly and I also have glaucoma and black eyes.I wasn't sure if the Amitriptyline was affecting my eyes. I have tried many remedies for my knees but without success.

Mark

• Posted

Hello again Mark

That makes more sense and I see that there is an Amitriptyline thread there. Yes, Amitriptyline can affect the eyes and caused my Glaucoma. However, my case is rare. It is, however, known to cause blurry vision etc and most GP's should inform patients of this. The leaflet that comes with them does say about this side effect and advises patient to contact their GP should they occur.Did you have Gaucoma when you were put on them? The Eye Clinic at my hospital do not like their patients to take this drug. There are others that you can try, ie Gabapenten or Pregablin which deal well with chronic pain. I am on Pregablin and this med suits me very well and just controls pain levels sufficiently for me to lead some semblance of normal life. These are ok with the Eye Clinic. Ask your GP for advice on slowly coming off Amitriptyline and trying something else that they advise taking into account your MS. Obviously all meds have side effects but these help immensely with my pain levels caused by trapped sensory nerves and sciatica due to Osteoporosis and crumbling of my lower spine. They also aid solid sleep just as Amitrip does. Has your knee been Xrayed to see if you have arthritis or some other sort of inflammation? It would be good to identify the problem before rushing into anything. Hope this is helpful to you

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, yes I think I had glaucoma some time ago. I have tried Gabapentin and Pregabalin. Tramadol, Baclofen, capsaicin, tens and various creams and gels and exercise but that is painful.I will have to put up with it.Thank you for your replies and interest. Hope you manage your own problems okay.I did have knees Xrayed which showed no arthritis.

mark

• Posted

So the origin of your knee pain is a puzzle unless it is part and parcel of your MS. As I know very little about this condition I will bow out and wish you all the best as you search for some answers. Keep looking, I'm sure there is an answer out there somewhere.
  • Posted

Sorry Mark, I should have said that Gabapenten and Pregablin are ok with the Eye Clinic because I have now had laser eye surgery to combat the very high pressure I had in my right eye (it was an emergency situation that was triggered by Amitrip), so you must ask your GP to check before you take anything else really. I do apologise for not making that as clear as I should have

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.