MST ?? Ive had a shock.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this group although I was a follower of the knee replacement group.

I suppose this is a natural progression for some, considering the pain involved.

Brief history, I had knee problems and started on co codamol 30/500 in2014. Had a knee replacement which didn't work

. In all had 3 ops on knee which resulted in being on crutches for two years. Then found I had severe back spasms after coming off crutches.

So long and short of it is i was recently prescribed morphine tablets( MST). Told to stop codamol and take the MST. Did this for a week and suffered excruciating leg pain

Cramps like I've never known before. Could this be a withdrawal symptom from stopping the codamol ? I did think it was a bit strange to just stop them dead but doctor said that the MST would replace them.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would say it's wirhdrawels hun that's the down side of codeine withdrawel but on the plus side if you done a week you will be nearly over it.

Morphine is also addictive so probley have the same if you were to stop that as well.

You sound like you need the medication as well so don't beat your self up about it all.

Hope all turns out ok hun xx

• Posted

Thanks lb1079. Ah right, but only thing is I was in so much pain

and the morphine wasn't touching it so I've started back on the codamol. Yes

I do still need help with the pain so I have decided I prefer to take the co codamol

for now. At least this experience has taught me that when I eventually

am able to come off them, that I will have to do it in the correct way.

• Posted

Susan,

i have been taking co codamol since I can't remember I had back surgery in 1996 and 1998 . I've been so so depressed since then and I couldn't understand why I would get such terrific lows that would come so quickly and take me days and days to start feeling a little better. I was standing at my kitchen sink last Tuesday looking at my co codamol and thinking ho It suddenly dawned on me that if I vary the dose throughout the day e.g. Sometimes taking eight a day then four a day etc, etc I'm coming from ff the medication at varying stages all the time. You have to keep the codeine levels up or I get terrible depression and mood swings. on day five of cold turkey. Stopped all the co codamol and the gabapentine. Can't stop crying, terrible aches and pain all over my body, can't sleep, eat think brain in constant state of extreme anxious. But I'm going to get there. Can't believe it never dawned on me before, I've been going to my Drs every two weeks for the past year crying and trying to figure out why my moods were so extreme. Gp never mentioned it's because of my codeine level. Co codamol dose on my medication says up to eight a day when required. Co codamol never gave me a high ever. Always made me feel the opposite ....low and I took them for pain relief even. I would rather have body pain than the pain in my brain. 

• Posted

Hi Lynda, don't think it's a good idea to go cold turkey. Maybe best to reduce them gradually

Would probably take a few weeks but I think you would get less symptoms that way. Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.