MTPJ fusion of first left and PIPJ fusion of second toe.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi as some of you remember I broke my toe two weeks after my scarf and atkin operation in February last year. The operation has failed due to the break and my Consultant thinks it a good Idea to do a MTPJ fusion on the toe instead. His original plan was to fuse the toe further up but I was not keen on a not being able to bend my toe. My concern now is how the MTPJ fusion will effect me and what sort of shoes I will be able to where. Please can any one who has operation tell me if the can wear heels of any sort and what the movement of the foot is like now ? 😔 I'm scared ..

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

A fusion will stop you wearing heels, anything involving bending your toe. If he thinks you need a fusion, has he considered an implant in the joint? Have a look on the internet about MTPI implants for Hallux Ridigus.
  • Posted

Hi

I had my left toe fused and bunion chop with screw last January (well I actually had both feet done but only fusion on the left as that bunion was the worst).  I had the screw taken out of the left foot last November as it was sticking out and rubbing. It is still a bit wierd as the toe doesn't go down to the ground fully and goes off to the left still. I asked the consultant and he said I would just have to get used to it or I could have another operation and have a plate inserted - I have said no to this as I just can't face another year of hobbling around! I can wiggle my toe so maybe its just that it is still at an angle that I struggle to walk properly, I don't know really where it was fused so maybe different to you. I don't think I can blame the fusion for my funny foot.  I certainly can't imagine wearing heals (I was told max 2 inch heels forever). I still revert back to comfy ugg boots when they feel tender after a day in normal flat boots for work! This probaly hasn't helped you - sorry cry but good luck and thinking of you.

• Posted

Hi Sue, sorry you've had a bad time of it, I had fusion of the MTP joint last January & was told I would only be able to wear a small heel, but as I never could wear heels due to an op I had on my bunion nearly 40 years ago age 19!! I wasn't bothered. But - a year on I am surprised how much movement I have in my toe, in July I was at a wedding & was pleasantly surprised I lasted the entire night in fancy shoes with a 1 inch heel. It has greatly improved over the year & boots I couldn't get on in the autumn are no problem now. Sorry I'm not much help & hope all goes well whatever you decide. 
  • Posted

You have both been very helpful, I would appreciate other answers too as I need lots of answers to convince me what to do, both of you so far a making me hopeful. I'm scared I will not be able to go on a slight tiptoe even, I would like to be able to wear a 2 inch heel with a dress athough most of the time I'm am in flats or one inch heels. I have lots of shoes I have never worn but it's not only the shoes that worry me, it's the whole non movement thing.. I also have a weak achelies tendon on my other foot which I am trying to improve with physio after surgery in August last year.. It involves going up on my toes..🙄 And to be honest with you I'm scared ...
  • Posted

I also forgot to mention I went to Austria for a walking holiday in June! Mind you sturdy walking boots give lots of support, I asked my surgeon before the op if I could go & he said absolutely no problem! He also said if it was a member of his family he would advise this op. I had every confidence in him & that helped. I'm sorry not to be more help on the heels issue, but I can stand on my tiptoes 😃 But I have to say it has probably been almost a year before I felt completely healed & able to wear some shoes/boots I couldn't get on in the months after the op, patience is the thing & I can't believe it is now over a year since the op. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Fiona, that's my other worry I am due to go on holiday in June, athough I still have not got a date for the operation. I've telephoned the secretary and asked if I can see my consultant to disscuss the operation first athough I believe he has put me on the waiting list which in my experience is not long.. Xx
  • Posted

Definitely speak to your consultant Sue, it's too important to go through with the op without being fully informed & being happy you're doing the right thing & that your foot will be better after the op than before.

• Posted

Hi all I thought I would update you, after careful consideration I decided against the MTPJ fusion and have decided to go for the lesser option of an Atkin Osteotomy and the second toe fusion... As some of you may remember I broke my toe failing in the shower two weeks after my first operation and also had a funny floppy second toe after my operation.. My feet will never be perfect again as I had hoped because the MTPJ would have been the better option for the first toe but at least I can carry on wearing reasonable heels on special occasions... My days of really high heels were over years ago 😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.