MTX and vaxinations

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on 20mg MTX since February. I seem to feel sicker each week within 12 hours of taking my dose. I've had flu like symptoms for about 3 weeks now and just wonder if anyone else deals with this?

Also concerned about vaccines, as I have heard / read with Mtx lowering immunity that it is suggested that live vaccinations should not be given, as it can make us quite ill, actually getting the illness that we are meant to be covering.

Any information greatly appreciated. Eg: chicken pox vax and Hep A B and C

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, the best thing I can suggest is to discuss with the Consultant who prescribed the mtx. I know prior to starting it, I had a series of blood tests and I believe I as checked to see if I had previously had chicken pox (which I had). I was advised that I could have a flu vaccine (recommended) but couldn't have a yellow fever vaccine as that is live. Depending on your occupation, you may need hep b, but you only get a fixed amount of those. Each time you have an appointment and prescribed mtx you should have your blood tests done to check your levels.

The main thing is to be aware that you might more susceptible. For example, if someone you work with has chicken pox, there will be a period of time that they are deemed infectious (which can also affect pregnant women). But if there are any potential risks that would be when your employer would carry out a risk assessment.

Also to help getting ill, simple measures like hand washing, cleaning a phone, keyboard etc with an anti bacterial wipe or spray will reduce the chance of things spreading. Pharmacists are very knowledgeable and can also give advise as there will also be over the counter medication that you can't take.

In terms of the sickness, were not prescribed folic acid? That really does help with the mtx side effects, esp the nausea. I take 5mg such days a week, the only day I don't is on the day I take the mtx. It was also suggested to take the mtx at night, to hopefully sleep through it. If you haven't got folic acid, ring your gp and all for it as the one to get on prescription is generally stronger than they offer the counter version.

If in general you are generally healthy, then you should be ok, esp following basic hygiene procedures. The advice I was given, was if I come into close contact with someone who has chicken pox (or similar) during the infectious period, you should consult doctor asap.

Hopefully this helps?

Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.