MTX lightheadness

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am going on the 3rd month of MTX. That is all I am taking besides folic acid. It seems to have cut the pain in my shoulders but I am having increasing lightheadness all day everyday. I know it won't kill me. Will this go away or get worse? It seems to be the only side effect that I am having and I wanted this mtx to work but I still feel like my shoulders are sprained and any exerction on them causes pain. Do you think I should try something else?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It took me six months and then they added plaqunil to the MTX.  As for the light headed feeling, I wonder if you are anemic.  I know that side affect is one of mine.
    • Posted

I don't know Deb, they did a blood work for nutrition less than a month ago and it was good. It may take 6 months, I was under the impression that it took 3 months to see if a med works but not sure. It's been 3 months this month and just keeps getting worse. Now it happens when I drive, sit or do anything. sad I am going to get with the doc pretty soon. I was thinking the MTX would have stopped the shoulder pain by now.
  • Posted

Do you have PMR?  I read MTX doesn't work for PMR, so if it is working in your case that is most interesting.
    • Posted

I only know I have RA and the MTX does not seem to be working. I think I said the pain is less and by that I mean it is now localized directly in the shoulder joints. 
  • Posted

Oh, I got confused as to which forum I was on!  I thought I was on the PMR forum.  But I am still interested in anything to do with MTX since they want to put me on it.  It  does not look like a good drug to me, but I thought it might be good for RA patients.  In your case, I guess not.
    • Posted

I was really hoping it would help. How long have you been on MTX and has it done good for you?
  • Posted

Methotrexate does cause brain fog. Lots of stuff comes up if you google it. It simply may not be the drug for you or it may need to be combined with something else. If Methotrexate hasn't helped your joints enough after 3 months then I suggest you get back to your rhematologist.

I took Methotrexate initially and it put the RA into remission but my kidneys didn't like it. There is definitley a slow down of brain function although I don't recall being lightheaded. Once you have something like RA its easy to blame just every ache and pain on it but RA doesn't stop you from getting sick with something else. Don't assume its RA or the drugs you take. You need to get this checked out.

• Posted

I have to laugh Gail because I do blame everything on my RA!! and yes I will get it checked out!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.