MUA

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an MUA two days ago to release scar tissue after TKR 4 months ago.  I was then on the CPM machine prior to discharge.  I stupidly thought I would suddenly be able to do so much more but the reality is I feel like I did three months ago with a very stiff knee and lots of swelling.  Is this normal?  I am doing all the exercises with a vengeance.  How long before it should settle and starts to feel normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had my MUA a week ago today after a TKR 12 weeks ago. I was told by my doctor that after the MUA for the following 2 weeks, my job was going to PT everyday and to do my ROM exercises every couple of hours but nothing else, no walking, no strength exercises nothing that might would cause swelling.  I was -5/100 before MUA , the doctor got me to 0/125.  Right after that I was in PT and they could only get 0/120, the next day I was at 0/105, the next day I was 0/110, and now I am at 0/115.  

So what I am trying to say?  Having the MUA was not the miracle cure and this is only your second day.    Maybe you are exercising too hard?  Again, I was told to stop all exercises except for the ones that help your ROM because the swelling will made it harder to get your ROM.  Are you going to PT?  I know for me the improvement is subtle but there is improvement!

As others have said, this is a marathon.  

• Posted

Hi my ROM was only 80 because of the scar tissue.  The surgeon got it to 115 on the MUA.  Physio told me I could go back to the gym next week but to take it easy.  My main goal was to be able to cycle.  Yesterday I managed to go backwards for the first time and today after doing the ROM exercises first sat on my static bike and managed to cycle forwards initially standing up then sitting.  I was ecstatic!!  Am doing the ROM exercises on and off during the day and icing . I wasn't planning on doing strength exercises just yet.  Maybe EFX and gentle leg press next week.  Was hoping to try a spin class the following week but maybe I am being a bit optimistic!!

• Posted

The surgeon got 130 in my MUA, I did suffer incredible pain on my thigh after, I still get stiffness 3 weeks after, I get 85-90 in physio and 100 in hydrotherapy , does anyone know how many manipulation s they do, as I'm pushing to get my bend before I go back on the 3rd of May I really don't want another, what will they be happy with bend wise as before the manipulation I couldn't bend it .

• Posted

Hi Natalia

I don't know if they will do another MUA.  I didn't know what to expect after mine and am shocked at how stiff my leg is after 6 days and I am limping again.  I think you have to do the exercises several times a day to keep the ROM.  My frustration is not knowing how much exercise is too much or too little.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.