MUA

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

‘consultant is threatening to do a manipulation under anaesthetic op in 10 days unless my movement currently at 45 degree improves and I have 4 physio sessions booked in between that time. I’ve been delayed due to massive bleed in knee as I’m on blood thinners. This led to consultant not wanting me to do too much physio and by the time I could this scar tissue had already set firm. 

Has as anyone had a MUA and if so was the knee much better straight away.

my knee is still very swollen and gets worse after physio which I know is relative normal, I just have no idea how it’ll be after mua

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi!  After 3 1/2 months of having bilateral tkr my left knee was not bending welll. In fact it regressed. I took it upon myself to speak to my surgeon and ask for an MUA. My physical therapists were hoping to get it bending  on their own. The MUA helped a lot and now my recovery is on track. Other than my usual poor reaction to anesthesia it was ok. Some swelling but very little discomfort. My surgeon did tell me it was an easy MUA, so I hope yours is too. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Nance

Were you in hospital for long with the mua, could you get the full bend straight away?

• Posted

I had an MUA as my bend also was around 45 degrees. The surgeon got 130 , I can only get between 100-115 which I'm happy With, I was able to bend straight away but I had a lot of pain for about a week after which is normal, good luck it's definitely worth having

• Posted

Hi Natalie, 

Were you in hospital for long with the mua, could you get the full bend straight away?

• Posted

I went in st 12pm and was home by 6pm. I'm in the UK. No I couldn't 130 but I bent it a lot more than before I had it

• Posted

My MUA was an outpatient procedure. Was in and out in about 2 hours.  
    • Posted

Is this in the UK? I must admit my first replacement and this current one struggled to get past 90 deg with exercises and Physio but I was never offered this. What bend did you have before the op? That might be the reason as mine was only 90 anyway?
  • Posted

I had my TKR on the 19th of Jan 2018 and 12 weeks later I had a MUA because I had been at -5/100 ROM since the 2nd week of my TKR surgery. 

Bottom line up front, for me the MUA recovery was easy and I believe I wouldn’t be where I am today if I had not had the MUA.  

I went into the hospital at 7am was given what they call a twilight drug (you are awake but don’t remember anything) and I was up and talking to the doctor at around 11:30am the same day.  The doctor said he got me to 0/125.  After talking to the doctor he sent me over to  PT and although a couple hours only passed  they could only get 0/120, the next day I was at 0/105, the next day I was 0/110 and worked my way back to 0/120.     

For me (and everyone is different) I had only a little bit of pain from where he grabbed onto my leg to break up the scar tissue and that lasted about a week.  

I was told by my doctor after the MUA that for the next two weeks I was to go to PT 5 days a week, do nothing that would cause my knee to swell such as no extra walking other than what was necessary and to do my ROM exercises as much as possible. After my two week period of rest/ROM exercises I was much more mobile than I was before the MUA because of my bend.  I was getting to  0/125 on my own and with help could get to 0/130.    

So for me the MUA recovery was only two weeks and it was easy.  Mentally it was also a positive experience since I could walk normally again.   But again remember that everyone is very different as are the doctor’s approach so everyone’s recovery is different.    

• Posted

Yes - but was your ROM before your TKR operation? Has it got it back to where it was?
    • Posted

My ROM was -5/100 before the MUA and it is now 0/125.  I am 5 months post operation.  
    • Posted

I meant what was it before your original TKR op, roughly. If it was at that for many years it may difficult to get lots more.
    • Posted

Good question but I assumed it was the same as my left knee which didn't have a TKR and that knee is 135.  So no it is not that same yet.  BUT, and I don't know if this makes a difference, but I had to have the TKR on my right knee because of many sports injuries over the decades (for some reason they all happened to my right knee)...my left knee is fine.  I understand what you are saying about if you had bad arthritis in your knee for years your bend numbers could be harder to get.   My friend that I workout with has really bad arthritis in her knees and she can't bend them as good as I can... 

• Posted

Are you icing after every exercise session and any time you have pain or swelling ? It will help. I bought a cryocuff from Amazon and it’s beeb a huge benefit. No need to buy the pump version but just make sure you buy the cuff and the flask  together some people only selling one bit or other. 

Sorry can’t comment on rest of your post. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.