MUA

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey, hoping to find good results and out comes. I had a LTKR on February 2018. In home therapy didn't go well. Started Physio therapy at four months. Eleven months later swelling has gone down(am on my feet all day). Hamstrings are killing me and ROM is at 85.

Doc wants me to get an mua by the end of month.

Someone PLEASE tell me it's gonna be alright.

Thanks can't wait to hear ALL the great stories.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had a MuA and scar tissue removal 2 months after my surgery and its the best thing I ever did. MY ROM is at 126 on my own. Physical therapy after MuA is a must! GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

Thanks Wenbon. I'm nervous about it but got to do it. I have been going to Physiotherapy and it has help me tremendous. Thanks again for your encouraging word.

• Posted

hi

i was in a similar position had my left tkr march 18. my knee seized up at 50 rom 5 weeks post op. it took months to get an MUA which i finally got on 17th December. the surgeon told me he would be lucky to get it to 90 as the arthrofibrosis was really bad but he did get it to 90 in theatre. i was then put on CPM machine for 48 hours. i was dishard on the 19th and told i would get intensive physio for the next ten days. Before I go any further i must stress the pain was not as bad as i had been led to believe, certainly a lot less than the tkr. unfortunatley when i woke up the morning after my knee had seized up again and was very swollen. i waited for physio but no one came. i rang 3 times a day but couldnt get an answer. i recieved a letter yesterday inviting me for physio on friday 4th jan 17 days after the procedure, they are supposed to see you within 7 days. because of xmas and new year holidays i didnt receive correct aftercare. i will have to go through it all again. i tried to rent a cpm but couldnt until new year. the best advice i can give you is try and rent a cpm machine to use at home to keep up the movement . hopefully you will have a much better experience as xmas is over.

dont be scared of the procedure it is nowhere near as painful as you expect.

good luck and kind regards

kerrie

• Posted

Kerrie, sorry to hear of what you are going thru. The good thing for me is that for the past six months I have been going to Physiotherapy. They are so awesome.

Kerri, hopefully when you go thru it again everything will fall into place.

Good luck and thank you.

• Posted

i had MUA after 8 mths . and arthoscopic surgery to ckean out scar tissue. thd pain after was minimal. rented a CPM FOR 3 weeks. went to PT THE VERY next day. went 3 times a week fir weeks. got my RoM TO 122.

• Posted

HI, i had left TKR September 2017, ROM did not get over 90 even with extensive physio. i had a MUA 6 months after operation. NO problems at all, cpm machine all day at 120 but got home and it was back to 100. It took more hard work in physio & gym to get it to 125, this took another 3/4 months. Now i've got great movement & had second TKR done 6 weeks ago. I'm sure it will be ok, you've just got to work hard to keep the bend! GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

Hi Sharon, so did you stay in the hospital after mua? My doctor said I might even go back to work the following day. Hopfully he'll be right. Thanks for sharing your experience. take care.

• Posted

Hi, I had MUA at 10 weeks post op as bend had regressed and knee had swelling, pain and would not budge. It worked and was not too bad at all as a procedure and only a little sore not anything like post TKR pain (which for me was bad as I cannot take strong pain meds).

I got extra physiotherapy after and exercise to do at home. The result I am told is very good though it has not been measured for a long time now, will be 2 years post op in March. I did have very severe scar tissue so I cannot say my TKR has had a perfect outcome, still a few problems, but bending OK. Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Thank you so much Cynthia. I'm kind of looking forward to it, but at the same time scared. Especially since it has been a long time. Will post after I've had it done.

• Posted

Regarding Home Therapy, this is my experience. After my two-stage TKA revision three months ago when I received a new implant (prosthesis) I have realized that "home therapy" is not that effective maybe due distractions at home like Wi-Fi, TV and the fridge etc. But, every day I try to do my 100 times stretch & bend and ankle pump. Also in the bath tube, hot bath, since mornings are the worst due to pain and stiffness. However, the most important for all of us TKA patients is the regular physiotherapy. In my case twice a week.

After my operation scar was completely healed I rediscovered the almost Olympic size swimming-pool near my house. This is now my most important exercise; walking in the pool, forwards and backwards and swimming, too. Twenty 20 laps walking and 20 laps backstroke in the pool. Minimum. Every day!

Bangkok-Johnny

• Posted

Hey Johnny, as far as in home therapy I found out the hard way that is useless. Going to Physiotherapy and doing stretches and exercising at home has help me so much. I also did the pool but went back to work and haven't been back. But after the mua I'll start again. Thanks for sharing your experience wit me.

• Posted

Regarding Home Therapy, this is my experience. After my two-stage TKA revision three months ago when I received a new implant (prosthesis) I have realized that "home therapy" is not that effective maybe due distractions at home like Wi-Fi, TV and the fridge etc. But, every day I try to do my 100 times stretch & bend and ankle pump. Also in the bath tube, hot bath, since mornings are the worst due to pain and stiffness. However, the most important for all of us TKA patients is the regular physiotherapy. In my case twice a week.

After my operation scar was completely healed I rediscovered the almost Olympic size swimming-pool near my house. This is now my most important exercise; walking in the pool, forwards and backwards and swimming, too. Twenty 20 laps walking and 20 laps backstroke in the pool. Minimum. Every day!

Bangkok-Johnny

• Posted

Good morning,

I had a MUA done on Dec. 28th. Surgeon said he was able to break the scar tissue and got my ROM all the way to my butt! But.....it did hurt when the sedative wore off and it does get still when not in use. I am still taking pain meds although not as strong as when I first had the TKR done. My knee is better for ROM, but not without pain. I am doing stretching excercises at home and will see my Dr this coming Weds. He will evaluate how I am doing before prescribing any PT. I just wish the pain would go away.....BTW, I am 6 months post TKR.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.