MUA after TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

What advice on having a MUA after TKR. Had my TKR op on Jan 19th this year.. now 9 week post op and only have 75 - 80 ROM. Saw my consultant on 22nd March and he suggested that a MUA might be a good thing for me as I am not getting the ROM that I need to get back to work full time. I am 65 fairly fit guy and my work is med to heavy labouring types of work...so I need good knee movement and strength. My question is for anyone that had the MUA and what was the results of having it. I would appreciate any advice and/or information that will help me make up my mind about having this procedure done or not.

?Thanks in advance

?Regards

Wayne

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had bilateral tkr on January 18. One of my only has 70-74.  Saw my orthopedist on March 23  He wants to wait 2 more weeks whereas my PT thought a MUA should be done. I also want to know the results of MUA done. By the way my other knee has110 ROM

thanks everyone

• Posted

I would welcome answers also on this subject Wayne I am 6 weeks post op my ROM 75-85 my pt is pushing for MUA I don't see the surgeon till 2nd May I feel it's too soon for MUA but not sure

• Posted

Hi Wayne, we’ve already conversed but thought I’d add to your feed. Had TKR in September 2017, and Rom only got to 90 ish by January so PT asked consultant to consider MUA. Had this in February, day surgery, on CPM machine for a few hours then Home. Pain didn’t come on until 3-4 days later.  Then it hit, sore muscles and soft tissue, lasted about a week but nothing like TKR.  ROM is now 120 ish and I am pleased. It is much easier, less swelling, less tight elastic feeling around knee and hoping for better. If you have it done, hope all goes well. Sharon
    • Posted

Thanks again Sharon

​Yes thought I would put the question up here to see what replies I get....so far so good with the replies from other sources.

​Have another 3 weeks so will make up my mine when the time comes.

Regards

Wayne

• Posted

Hi Wayne - I had my right knee replaced in August 2016 and spent a couple months in physical therapy, couldn't get past the 98 - 104 degree range. My surgeon explained to me that I had developed arthrofibrosis (difficulties with scar tissue), and discussed the MUA with my surgeon. He scheduled it for early November 2016 and measured me at 124 degrees on the table right after the manipulation. I had not even been able to ride a bike before that. Been working out on the bike since to keep that rotation going, hopefully the AF will disappear for me eventually as well, my surgeon said could take 2-4 years. At my 6 month appointment, he measured me at 134 degrees. Hope your MUA goes well, you will have to report back!

• Posted

Thanks Michelle for you information.... I am leaning on the side of getting it done so I will let you all know how it goes unless the knee starts giving in to my exercises and gives me more ROM, and I don't have to get it done......but I am not holding my breath...lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.