MUA - different angle to consider for addressing Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 2 users are following.

(SORRY THIS IS A LONG POST)

When I first starting having issues with shoulder/arm in 2017, I did so much on-line reading other people's stories to seek some sort of advice for relief...

so this post is just to offer another angle, regarding Manipulation under anesthesia.

My condition started out as a "soreness" in shoulder due to overuse while shoveling rock and bark for a few days. I tried to stop using the arm for awhile to see if it would heal, but it increased in pain and decreased in ROM the following couple of months. I went to see doctor. They thought it was rotator cuff tear and referred me to orthopedic doc. That doc said I had an impingement/bursitis for the over usage, gave me a Cortisone shots (didn't help) and referred me to PT. Confirmed it was not a RC tear. I went to PT for about 5 visits and left in tears just about every time. The pain was increasing and the ROM was decreasing. I stopped PT because it was unbearable. I waited it out for a few more months, praying it would heal on its own. It didn't. It then went into full adhesive capsulitis. Once I was completely frozen, the pain subsided, except for the occasional ZINGERS --- If I jerked my arm back too suddenly (i.e. I was pulling a dish out of oven and accidentally touched the rack. Reaction was to yank my hand back). Those zingers (I couldn't come up with another word LOL) LITERALLY TOOK MY BREATH AWAY, I'D DROP TO MY KNEES AND BUST INTO TEARS. I've never felt pain like that before, even when it was in the "freezing" stage. Those zingers only lasted 60-90 seconds, subsiding in intensity with each passing second.

Once my ROM was blocked at shoulder-length, I returned to Orthopedic doc. They scheduled MRI. Confirmed it was FS. They said FS can heal on its own but it could take up to a year. Because this condition is so debilitating, I told her I couldn't wait another year. I wanted an aggressive approach. She then suggested an MUA (manipulation under anesthesia). I had it done immediately. Very aggressive PT following the procedure for about 10 weeks..... And then it was a slow process to build up strength in that arm again. I couldn't even lift a 3 lb dumbbell for at least a few months... BUT I'M HAPPY TO REPORT, I'M TOTALLY HEALED IN THAT SHOULDER. I wish I had done the MUA a lot sooner instead of suffering for so many months. ...... BAD NEWS is, is that I'm in initial stages of same issue in my other arm. This one didn't start out from any isolated incident...it was just a weird twinge of pain in my tricep when I was at the gym. Started last Sept. I completely stopped working out in Dec to try and heal, but it has progressively gotten worse. I'm in my 2nd week of PT to deal with the pain. I can only describe it that I feel like my arm (from shoulder to elbow) is in a vice and being twisted beyond limits each time I stretch my arm out or pass my arm across my body (like to shave my other armpit, put on deodorant, etc). ROM is deteriorating but I'm hoping PT will help keep it from freezing up.

FS is a mysterious thing. Once you get it in one, sometimes you will unexpectedly get it in the other. There is also some link between FS and women with thyroid issues.... Good luck, my friends. I WOULDN'T WISH THIS ON ANY ENEMY!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Bless your heart, Tamara! I'm on my second FS too. I'm so glad you reported a successful MUA. Folks who've had bad outcomes (from any treatment) tend to be more vocal, and it gives an imbalanced perception of what works and what doesn't. I was able to wait out my first FS to full recovery.Like you, I read as much as I could and the many options available. Having read so much, I pretty much diagnosed myself, and found a local doc who specialized in FS. He gave me a cortisone shot, the inflammation eased, and I started the slow process of thawing. In retrospect, I think I unknowingly did myself a favor by not having any PT during the early stages, as there's evidence that aggressive PT during freezing does more harm than good. But in any case, I'm smack dab in the middle of the frozen stage of my other arm -- having now gotten another cortisone shot. This FS has been easier than the first, as I knew the symptoms early on. I really took it easy this time during the freezing stage and didn't aggravate it. And while it has locked up at the same rate as last time, the pain has been significantly more bearable. Good luck to you!I hope this FS is easier for you than the last. And, thanks for giving your account of MUA.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.