MUA on hip? Anyone know recovery procedure?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Afternoon guys

I have hip dysplasia so have been booked in for an MUA on my hip with a cortisone injection. I've been told this is to see wether I'm suitable for PAO surgery??

Basically I haven't a clue what's going to happen when I have MUA next week!

All I know is I'll be under GA and need someone to drive me home....

I haven't been told how long to have off work, how long I can't drive for or what the aftercare is for it!

I've called the hospital to ask but they haven't told me anything other than I need someone to take me home and stay with me for the first night after GA

Please if anyone has experience of MUA can you give me some advice? Tips?

I'm hoping it'll be a straight forward procedure where I won't need long off work/driving

Kind regards

Claire

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

MUA  a way to diagnose the amount of hip displacement to see if realignment of  the socket can repair the joint.  The ball socket is not balanced on the femoral theigh bone. During movement or release of the joint the surgeon will try to move the joint area to help relieve pain and recover balance to the joint. Then recovery will depends on how the bone was set in the joint enough to reestablish normal rom and gate to eliminate pain. POA is where they move the socket on the femor surgically . 

I hope that with the procedures you can retain good rom and healing with no pain. Therapy after surgery will help. Most of the rehab procedures should be discussed with your surgeon once the area has healed. Water therapy and zero gravity treadmill and bed exercises help strengthen core muscles and legs. Walking is best form of exercise slowly take one day at a time. Everyone heals at different paces. It hard to tell when you’ll be back at work. A bit early to tell. 

Wishing  you the best on your journey to recovery and you’ll be back on your feet in a few weeks. 

• Posted

Thank you hope4cure !

Very informative reply which has helped me understand better, I'm hoping all will go well next week with the MUA

I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks again

Claire

• Posted

I hope all goes well for you to regain full recovery soon after treatment.

healing blessing sent your way! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.