Mucousy stools

Posted , 4 users are following.

For a while now my bowel movements suddenly changed to having to go first thing in the morning as soon as I wake where as before it was very random.

My stools although formed are now very soft and although I havent seen visible mucous on my stool the consistency appears to be very mucousy. My stool always float but are normal colour. Im reading all the articles with regards to mucous on stool and it reads that mucous would be around your stool and visible, mine is mixed in the consistency of my stool and i have to admit its only that i've examined it that i know its there. (sorry tmi).

I never have pain so dont think it would be IBS. I have been very anxious.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

try adjusting you diet and include more fibre rich foods.

see if it makes any changes.

hint:soft brown stool is the best....

take care.

• Posted

Some people with IBS experience little to no pain as their main symptom and have bowel habit change as their predominant problem. Try a food diary to see if a food has caused this. Anxiety can also cause gut disturbance. If your symptoms have gone on longer than a week, see your doctor.

• Posted

Thank you for your replies, my worry is that ive had mucous in my stools for ages and have just thought it was normal, as i said before its not visible as in white on my stool but my stool has a slimey appearance (sorry tmi again!) Ive had an ultrasound and bloods which were both normal, im waiting for a colonoscopy, but petrified.

• Posted

Hello,

the normal constituents of the stool are:

bile, remains of digestive juices, especially of the pancreatic juice, MUCUS, excretory substances thrown off by the intestinal mucous membrane, microbes and various poisons produced by microbes, such as indol, skatol, pyrrol, and numerous other poisons, together with some small amounts of the various food principles and water.

• Dr. John Harvey Kellogg

Normally, the mucus lining (contains mucus) in GI tract SHED EACH DAY

every 4-5 days approximately 250 grams of these cells shed in the stool.

Meaning, this is NORMAL. We also shed mucus in our stool.

• Pathophysiology 6th edition by Carol Porth

Also, you are correct, it's not IBS since you have NO PAIN.

The hallmark of IBS is increased sensitivity to abdominal pain,

secondary is unpredictable constipation and diarrhea.

• Posted

Thank you for this. When you read the flags for bowel cancer it says mucus in stool, so by that i presume it means 'visible' mucous that is not mixed in that you can see a lot of? So confusing.

thank you for taking time to reply.

• Posted

Some foods are mucus-forming like dairy products, fried and processed foods, refined flours and chocolate. These encourage toxins to accumulate on your intestine. Are you eating these kind of foods most of the time? Then that could be the reason why you see a lot of mucus in the stool. Cancer primarily affects blood vessels and lymphatic system so most cancer patients have bleeding. Blood test is a good way to understand if there are really abnormal cells on your blood.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.