mucus

Posted , 4 users are following.

i developed a non productive cough and had great difficulty bringing up excess mucus. i have been on 7% saline via nebulizer which no longer helped. i am now on 250mg azithromycin which has helped greatly. z-pak. dr prescribed 10 refills. my question is how long can i safely continue to use it

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

There was a study done which showed that COPD patients had less exasperations when taking antibiotics on a monthly basis. While this is a good last resort it doesn't get to the root cause of the problem which is bacteria trapped in your mucus. I had a very similar experience where I had 2 episodes of bronchitis in two months and extreme shortness of breath. I did some research and found that the Cystic Fibrosis people have found some very good methods to remove mucus. I have been using their techniques for over a year now with no recurring lung infections and a dramatic improvement in shortness of breath. I made a write up with detailed instructions which I can share if you message me. It's too lengthy to share here. Otherwise visit the Cystic Fibrosis website. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

That's a lot of zpac they would only give me 2 doses + pred when I had my Bronchitis infection in Jan. I find it is very important for me to force myself to expel air, I think it helps if you have hyper inflated lungs. I also makes me bring up mucus. Some people breathe shallow and it does not help get air out.

• Posted

Have you tried mucus thinners?
    • Posted

i was hospitalized three years ago when my airsacs were clogged with mucus and i was suffering from oxygen deprivation. mucus thinners were of no help. what helped greatly was 3% sodium chloride inhalation solution and 60mg prednisone. .my pulmonologist now has me on 7% saline every 8 hrs. and xzopenex to open airways. for my stuffed nose Arnuity 100mcg once a day.,symbicort and spiriva respimat 2.5 (2 puffs)  Dr feels there is an infection and the azithromycin has really helped . i now rarely cough and am able to get some sleep.
    • Posted

Nebulizer helps me tremendously, not exactly the same meds but I can't take some of the stuff you & a lot of folks use. Mucus thinners don't always work for me so I take a break & come back to them. Am not surprised they didn't work for you when things were that bad that you got hospitalized. I have another infection & will try a different AB in the a.m., because I can't do zpack.

• Posted

Since you can't take Zpac what do you take for AB when you get an Infection? I have only had 2 episodes in recent years where I needed Pred.and Zpac...the latest episode (which I partially blame on an unfamiliar Urgent Care Dr.,) She said I had the flu and gave me Tamiflu and cough meds. to take) wasted 3 days doing that had to go to ER with a very bad Bronchial Inf. They gave me breathing treatment and tested for flu (came back Neg.) x-ray then Rx for Zpac and Pred. usually this takes care of things but this time around I needed 2nd dose of each! Hate Pred.! 

• Posted

We try all sorts of older ABs. Right now we're trying ceftin. Am also doing a culture.

• Posted

I would check back with your doctor who prescribed the medicine.

Check the information leaflet that comes with the medicine regarding using the medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.