Mucus in Stool

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all smile

I have a question regarding the presence of mucus in stool. I have read that there is almost always some amount of mucus in every stool but that it is rarely noticeable. For myself, I NEVER noticed it until recently.

So for the last few days, I have been seeing very small, clear, stringy mucus sort of "attached" loosely to my stool. Honestly, it is hardly noticeable unless I am looking for it. It separates easily when flushing the toilet or even if touched by tweezers.

The mucus is not bloody, red, pink, or even white. It is totally clear. It is not mixed with the stool, as far as I can tell, but rather only loosely attached to the outside. It does not cover the entire stool at all. Barely even 10% of the total surface area I would guess.

I am not suffering from any abdominal discomfort and the stools themselves are a normal brown color and normal long, curved shape. The only oddity as far as I can tell is the sudden presence of what I am guessing is mucus.

Also, the only physical ailment I am currently being treated for is acid reflux with 40mg of Omeprazole a day. My diet is rather reflux-friendly with banana/almond milk protein shakes, cucumber sandwiches on whole grain bread, chicken, vegetables, eggs, oatmeal etc. The one thing I do have that is not reflux friendly is 1 zero calorie energy drink a day, which my GI said I could have.

So my question to all of you kind people is whether or not what you have read about my situation rises to the level of "seeing an alarming amount of mucus in one's stool."

My guess is that it is not, but I am not a doctor and I have never had anything like this happen to me before. So I am completely ignorant in this.

Your help and advise is MUCH appreciated. Cheers!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I read that it is normal to have some mucus in the stool. I don't see any reason for you to be overly concerned. It could be something you changed or added to your diet that is causing mucus to be more visible than before. Keep monitoring it and let us know.

• Posted

Mucins is awesome and protecting your gut wall from being scratched, lubricate it.

also to flush away bad bacteria in colon (2 layer system).

I think you read of bowel ischemia or other reasons for excess mucus, but you would have pain pretty sure.

(I am amazed to go with tweezers at stool for investigation. ;-) I have never done that)

• Posted

Try a food diary to see if a particular food is causing the mucus. If you find the culprit, avoid that food.  Wait a week to see if thevmuscus goes away.  If it it doesn’t see your doctor.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your responses! I will vigilantly monitor the situation and provide updates.

Today, I did NOT observe anything. So perhaps I am already moving away from this. We will see!

• Posted

Hey all smile

Just updating. It would indeed seem that diet or perhaps some transitory intestinal/bowel trouble was responsible for the sightings of mucus. Have seen nothing like that for 5 days now, interestingly. Thank you all for your kind responses smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.