Mucus in stool, change in stool consistency, frustrated and scared!

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey, so warning: Up ahead is a very TMI account of my symptoms, but i'm so fearful right now I need to tell them to someone.

so, hey guys. I'm a 14 year old girl, super healthy, and vegan.

in the past, i've had days where my gut is just very off. I won't be able to pass a bowel movement or i'll be randomly constipated, and usually this is accompanied by TONS of mucus, and this is really why i'm concerned. when i say a lot of mucus, i am talking a lot. It's usually clear, and kind of jelly like? One time, a little over a month ago, when for some reason i was constipated I passed just a sheet of mucus only.

I've dealt with on and off constipation in the past, but since i've been vegan it's all been good - mostly. Usually my stools are very solid, large, and long. i definitely do not lack in the fiber department, so my stools are generally healthy. However, i have noticed some weird symptoms, and a particularly odd turn of events today.

i should note that just in general, my tummy bloats super easy. I'll have just eaten a normal sized meal and it will literally expand till I look pregnant. That happened last night, and today i woke up and passed the oddest bowel movement. My stool was coming out in flakes, not a lot, and it was brown. but then atop those flakes was a very obvious, clear, ginormous sheath of mucus. My tummy is grumbling, it hurts, and I feel the urgent need to defecate but that is all that comes out. I've been drinking plenty of fluids, my pee is clear, but this is still persisting. i'm scared that i have some life threatening condition or i'm going to keel over and die and puke. Any advice? ibs/chrons/colitis???? IDK anymore!!!! 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi

There are many reasons for excess mucus in the stool, from a bacterial infection, IBS or many other things.  The only way to find out is to see your doctor, and with a sample of stool and mucus so it can be tested.  Also, and I don't know if it's relevant or not, keep a note of when your period is, and if you get the symptoms around your period time.  As a vegan, are you getting enough of all the minerals and vitamins you need everyday?  You could have a gastric enzyme issue.  Just ideas I'm floating.  Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.