Mucus stools

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm 26 years old with coeliac disease and I'm strictly gluten free for over 9 years. I'm having soft mucus stools for the past few weeks with the odd semi normal stool in between. I'm also having a lot of tummy pressure after eating. I'm eating small amounts of mainly toast, chicken and rice. I'm trying to take in some food irregardless of the pressure build up because I'm under weight and afraid that my weight will drop even further. I ve a busy job and I feel low in energy. I'm concerned about my stolols over the past few weeks. As I mentioned they are usually gooey and sometime semi diarrhoea and the odd time semi ok. Could anyone offer any advice as to what may be going on or any help greatly appreciated

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My advice: speak to a pharmacist first off then a GP as it could be some other little problem in the digestive system. The toast.....most GF bread has psyllium husks in it and a lot of people can't handle that.

All the best.

• Posted

It could be a food intolerance, I have found since being diagnosed with coeliac disease, that there are a lot of food intolerances coming to light. Things like, becoming intolerant to soya products, xanthan gum (which is in a lot of gluten free products, including bread, pastry etc.), mustard, fructose, dairy.  There are a lot of things that coeliacs wouldn't be eating as food additives, if they were not on a gluten free diet, so it's worth keeping a food diary and write down everything that passes your lips in the food diary, and take a note of the results.  Keeping a food diary was the only way I could find out what was causing my problems. 

As you are under-weight though, I would also consult your doctor as anything you change in your diet, you need to do properly so you don't end up robbing your body of nutrients and in any case, anything causing concern you should always see your doctor. 

• Posted

Some other foods to be wary of .. that my husband cannot tolerate.. are buckwheat, rice, corn kernals, pumpkin and mango.

He has a smoothie for breakfast.. usually pear & banana & yoghurt with Maca, LSA and psyillium..  Toast for lunch and meat and vegies for dinner. Needs extra calcium, magnesium & vitamin B.

A food diary is a good idea. 

• Posted

That's very interesting. I have heard of other people also not being able to tolerate rice and corn.  I guess some people are more sensitive to different things than others. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.