Mucus when go to toilet

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi this last week I've noticed mucus when doing a bowel movement. Its yellow ish/clear. Sometimes its on its own or with bowel movement or when i wipe. I have had ibs d symptoms for years. Usually rushing to toilet and loose. Is mucus normal?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

yes you can have mucous present in stools. i think it is usually more noticeable for those with ibs

• Posted

thanks for reply. its worrying as not noticed this symptom before. it reminds me of snot/phlegm. sorry if too much info just glad to be on a site were ppl have similar issues.

• Posted

Yes, mucus is normal with IBS. I take it you have a medically confirmed diagnosis of IBS?

• Posted

over the years of symptoms the docs have put it down to ibs. can't remember having tests though.

• Posted

If your doctors have diagnosed IBS, just leave it at that and try to keep as calm and stress free as possible.

• Posted

no doctors can't diagnose ibs they just test for anything else and rule it out.

• Posted

Doctors can diagnose IBS.It is just that there is no specific test to identify it, so they have to rule out other possibilities out first.

• Posted

Hi Suzzane,

Mucus is common in patients with IBS, Especially diarrhea type.

So No need to worry.

• Posted

I get this ALL of this time. It alarmed me too, at first but I've had it for many years and it's a common symptom of IBS.

• Posted

yes completely normal I get this a lot and was told by the doctor it can be due to having an inflamed colon from the IBS symptoms.

• Posted

Ive sent a stool sample after re visiting the doctor. Its bad again today wind and lots of mucus. Looks so jelly like and yellow. Thanks for the comments but still scared as never had this over the years and convinced its something else..

• Posted

Hi, mucous is a general sign of irritation in the gut, it is produced to sort of wash the irritant away like having a common cold, the bodies reaction to a problem, I think the body produces quite a lot of it at times.

• Posted

Little update...

Docs not giving my stool result till had my bloods done and got them results. Something has come up on it and the doc wants to wait for bloods result before getting me in to discuss them... I saw the words crp on the stool letter not sure if thats all they tested for. Bloods not till next wed and results mon after. So much for keeping my anxiety low. Wish i had an idea whats what

• Posted

Yes, I tend to have a fair amount of mucus in my stools when having a bad flare-up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.