Muffled hearing and tingling in right ear?

Posted , 3 users are following.

About a month ago I got sick and my ear clogged really badly. Didn't think much of it initally, but after a while I went to an ENT and also had an audiogram done because I was scared I was suffering from hearing loss. The audiotest was perfect, showed no hearing loss in either ear, also I had no fluid in my ear and that my eustachian tube is working properly.

Yet my ear still feels almost exactly the same and hasn't gotten much better at all. I can hear voices and talk on the phone fine from that ear, but my left ear is picking up more sound than my right ear is. Also I get a weird tingling sensation on the actual ear itself multiple times a day. I also had ringing in that ear, but it's mostly gone away.

The ENT said it could take a couple months to fully recover, but i'm scared because I have seen barley any improvement. Does anyone know what the problem could be? This has been destroying my concentration and making my life miserable lately. I'm hoping this isn't permanent.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had the same problem as you. I also had perfect hearing.

A way to get over it is to try and not pay attention to it when it happens (for me this seems to make the problem worse).

You mentioned ringing in the ear and I was wondering if you listen to loud music, as this can cause it. Or if you go to places with different pressure levels regularly.

Did they check for holes in the ear or just made sure that you can hear with that ear? A perforated eardrum can be one of the worst problems as if left untreated it can cause bigger problems years later (which is what my grandmother is going through after around 30-40 years) and potentially can cause deafness (I was always warned I might lose hearing if I refused treatment).

I would also suggest for you to try going to the doctors to see if they can prescribe any medication.

• Posted

Well I've seen about 4 doctors so far, and they all looked in my ear so i'm assuming they would have seen a hole in the ear drum, but all of them said that it looked fine. 

The ringing in the ears is off and on, hasn't been bothering me lately and is going away. 

Was your problem a peforated eardrum? Because i'm sure that not my problem. How long did it take for you to get better? I'm going on a month with this problem so far

• Posted

Yeah mine was a perforated eardrum. It marked 5 years in January and it's still not gone. Had glue ear 6 years before that too.

One thing your problem could be is tinnitus (in fact it does sound like it quite a lot). https://patient.info/health/tinnitus-leaflet

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the given link with a link to the equivalent article on our site.

• Posted

I have Glue ear/ Tinnitus which has been going on for 6 months it doesn't affect me to much just annoying when i clench my jaw and a high pitch occurs !!.

I went to the doctor recently again and he said they don't do grommits anymore so i been proscribed otomize again to use for 4-6 weeks but on the leaflet it says not to use on profrated ear drum ? 

• Posted

the yellow smelly discharge is the most annoything thing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.