MULTI COMPARTMENTAL RESURFACING

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been reading up about this, as a neighbour is having it done on the 18th January. He is 70, & wants to still ski, the surgeon is a Mr.David Barrett. It reads VERY good, less invasive, can last over 10 years, only a 4" scare, side incision so the tendons/ligaments are left alone & they can go in again to re-do it. I would consider this for my other knee once I have got over the revision but would love to know if anyone has actually had it done?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I think what you are referring to is another name for "partial knee replacement". According to several orthopedic surgeons I have consulted with. Not a good option for people in there sixtys and above. They say most people in this age need a revision (total) a few years later. 
    • Posted

Read up on Professor David S Barrett of Southampton. This is a quote from his paper "The articular cartilage or lining cartilage of this aspect of the joint becomes worn down and the bone of the femur and tibia begin to grind together to cause pain and discomfort.At this early stage it is possible to resurface just the inner aspect of the femur and tibia with a very thin lining of a special medical grade of stainless steel which is implanted on top of the bony surfaces. To prevent the two metal surfaces grinding together a small plastic bearing is inserted on to the top of the tibial plate to allow easy articulation. The advantages of this procedure is that none of the ligaments around the knee or indeed inside the knee are disturbed by this procedure which is simply a recoating or relining of the worn areas of the joint. This bearing replicates the role of the cartilage in the natural knee. The prosthesis used for this resurfacing procedure is the SIGMA "

I understood that a partial KR involved replacing some of the femur with metal parts? My neighbour is insisiting it's something not very many surgeons do, hence he has had to travel to Southampton to have it done. I'm going to see what he is like after the 18th January (when he has it done!). The paper reads on to say the recoating of the cartilage can also be revised after 10 years, avoiding a TKR. Spent most of the afternoon looking into it!

• Posted

o, this is a new technique for the total knee replacement, not the partial . . 

this is what it says on internet:

In minimally invasive knee replacement, the surgical procedure is similar, but there is less cutting of the tissue surrounding the knee. The artificial implants used are the same as those used for traditional knee replacement. However, specially designed surgical instruments are used to prepare the femur and tibia and to place the implants properly.

Minimally invasive knee replacement is performed through a shorter incision—4 to 6 inches versus 8 to 10 inches for traditional knee replacement. A smaller incision allows for less tissue disturbance.

In addition to a shorter incision, the technique used to open the knee is less invasive. In general, techniques used in minimally invasive knee replacement are "quadriceps sparing," meaning they avoid trauma to the quadriceps tendon and muscles in the front of the thigh. Other minimally invasive techniques called "midvastus" and "subvastus" make small incisions in the muscle but are also less invasive than traditional knee replacement. Because the techniques used to expose the joint involve less disruption to the muscle, it may lead to less postoperative pain and reduced recovery time.

The hospital stay after minimally invasive surgery is similar in length to the stay after traditional knee replacement surgery--ranging from 1 to 4 days. Physical rehabilitation is a critical component of recovery. Your surgeon or a physical therapist will provide you with specific exercises to help increase your range of motion and restore your strength.

• Posted

My right knee is just beginning to niggle!  if I live long enough for it to become a real problem, I shall be looking into this possibility!!!

• Posted

this sounds too good to be true where are you based ?

best wishes 

jude

• Posted

I'm in Cornwall, but my neighbour is travelling to Southampton to have it done. He is using health insurance, but he says the professor takes NHS patients too.
    • Posted

Hi Veronica

I've just read up about Prof Barrat and will make an appointemnet to see him monday - although I'm already booked in for TKR end of November would always explore every avenue first- thanks for reply - as your neighbour is 70 I am slightly youner so will post what happens next

best wishes jude

• Posted

Let me know how you get on. If I am suitable for the left knee to be done this way, then I am going to see him too. Just have this revision to go through first, & then of-course, recovery.  - Veronica
  • Posted

I did read that this procedure is mainly for 'young, slim patients, who have not had previous knee surgery, and can take part in a vigorous rehabilitation  . . (well, we all have to do that!)
    • Posted

My neighbour is 70. He is active, but so were we until this brutal operation!  His surgeon has told him to have a skying holiday before his operation (just in case!!). It all reads too good to be true!
    • Posted

As it's still in early days, maybe not a good idea. . but who knows.  a less painful recovery sounds good, doesn't it!
    • Posted

Just to let you know my neighbour had his operation at Southhampton on Jan 18th - I was to drive him to the doctors on day 7 - but he didn't need me! So he was driving from day 7 -  and to be honest, is now 100 percent back to normal - no limp etc. I've seen his x-Ray, and the scar (very small) and I'm very jealous! They take NHS patients but Prof Barratt only takes private patients- better buy a lottery ticket so he can do my left knee!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.