Multiple AutoImmune Disorders

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am new to this group. I am 52 years old and diagnosed at 14 with diabetes, at 50 with celiac disease and 51 with seropositive RA and now watching my salivation production decrease and my larynx is showing signs of being infecting by RA. My doctor prescribed plaqnuil and after almost two years gave me a steroid shot in my arm. My hoarse voice and coughing and fatigue lifted for two weeks. Know she wants me to start methotrexate. However, it is sitting on the counter untouched because I question the use of this medication. I am looking for suggestions from folks who have multiple autoimmune disorders and what has worked for them. Thank you.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dorothy. I would say try the Methotrexate. I got so much relief with it for a few months. However after about a year, it seemed to disagree with me and I was given Etanercept. Some people tolerate Methotrexate really well, and after the initial few weeks, the benefits are huge. You need to start somewhere, and as long as you get regular monitoring, you should feel better soon. At least you will be in a position to be offered alternatives if it's not quite right for you. Everyone reacts differently to these drugs. You won't know till you try it. Good luck. Keep posting.

• Posted

Try the MTX, I have been on it for 14 years with no side effects at all, in fact it has been a big help. 

I too have auto immunine issues, as does my entire family, my eyes have dry times, but it seems to come and go, nightmare, but my arthritis comes back sero negative for RA, and well as negative for psoratic arthritis, but I have had psoriasis my entire life, Mum told me I was born with it in my scalp.

​Be careful take only ONCE A WEEK, take your folic acid for two days afterwards, and your blood tests should be very regular when you first start on it, and then if you have no side affects the blood tests can be monthly or even a little longer.

• Posted

Hi Dorothy,  

I also have 3 autoimmune diseases.   Vitilgo which is a skin pigment loss was first and then 10 yrs later crohn's disease and most recently (almost 2 yrs ago) seronegative RA.   I didn't want to start methotrexate either.  My doctor stated than I would just get worse without treatment and would probably lose use of my hands and other joints would get worse.   So I started it but I couldn't tolerate it.  Many do and it can bring relief  I am on  a biologic that treats both the RA and Crohns.   Humira caused too many side effects so I have been on this a yr and tolerating it very well.   I started with a very low dose of the MTX and it increased by 1 pill weekly but had to stop due to side effects.   These medications can take a time to work so you really should get started on another drug.   Good luck.   I know it is scary to read all the side effects but the disease will progress without treatment.  I did a lot of reading on RA to become more informed about treatments and medicine.  You may find that helpful

• Posted

Thanks. You have given me more to think about. I wonder if a vegan diet would make a difference? There are studies that prove dairy and processed meats are harmful and not good for the immune system.
    • Posted

Hi Dorothy. I would agree tweaking the diet can help. I eat 3 portions of oily fish per week and try to avoid too many wheat products/bread etc. I feel at my best when I remember to make skimmed milk smoothies (high in calcium) with blueberries/Strawberry's etc. Another feel good addition for me is lots of lettuce and dark green veg..... Boring, but effective. 👍

• Posted

I know you are gluten free if you have celiac so that is a help since wheat can cause additional problems with RA.   But diet is trial and error to see what works for you.  Processed foods are not good or a lot of meat, esp red meats.   Some people find it helpful to follow an arthitic diet and eliminate night shade veggies but that seems to be hit or miss     Not positive on dairy.   I do eat yogurt and tolerate than ok but again ea person is different
  • Posted

Diet and lifestyle will help enormously.

Best of luck to you.

Gill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.