Multiple fibroids / peri-menopausal - help re treatment options

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, I first had fibroids diagnosed when I was in my early 40s.

When I was late 20s I had a 10cm dermoid cyst on one ovary which I had removed. I successfully - thankfully - was able to conceive twice in few years after this and have two teens now! Because of this history I have had quite a lot of pelvic scans over the years since as I had very little symptoms of this 10cm cyst and worry something will regrow.

Well my ovaries have been fine but I started to get heavier and heavier periods in my 40s to point struggled to stay in work & also became very anemic. Scans showed I had fibroids. Not sure how many. Initially tried transamic acid , and was highly encouraged to try the mirena coil - but as my mum died of breast cancer young - I have been very nervous about hormonal treatments. I read about ablations and my GP referred me and in 2017 had a very successful ablation, having had no bleeding since -fab. BUT over the past few years I have been getting low abdo pains and so much bloating. My thoughts are usually worry I have another big ovarian cyst but scan show nothing significant on ovaries but I get told I have 'multiple fibroids'.

My most recent scan , the radiographer not very forthcoming with info, so when I asked how the fibroids are, she said 'they are still there'!! I am cross I have not asked for a rough idea for how many there are - approx, but I do know that the biggest is not that big at 1.7cm. But say I have 15 fibroids at 1-1.5 cm - that is a lot of bulk isn't it and surely could be causing the pain and bloating that I feel daily.

I just wondered what others with 'multiple fibroids' have had treatment wise. To be honest I just want rid of them! I have never been referred to hosp gyne for the fibroids (just when I had the ovarian cyst and heavy periods).

Do you think it worth having hysterectomy ?

Tks

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.