Multiple hospitalizations

Posted , 6 users are following.

I need advice. I just got out of hospital Yesterday. I have temp of 99.5 and gurgling tummy yet again. I'm very worried this is a chronic case. I met with a surgeon whilst in hospital who seemed to indicate she'd do a colonoscopy in the next week verses waiting 4-6 weeks. She also seemed to indicate surgery might be a good option for me. Right now I'm home in some pain. I'm on 14 days of antibiotics but quite scared about my symptoms currently. Did I get worse??? Seeing as I'm this scared what do you lot think i should do? How long do i wait before i return to hospital? When do you guys decide it's time to go to hospital? This last episode caused me to go to A&E after two days of gurgling tummy, diarrhea , and LLQ pain, with back pain. The CT showed no perforation. However, two months ago the CT showed a microperforation which responded to IV meds. I'll be honest I'm terrified. I haven't a clue what to do. I'm in America so at least I have options if I need surgery. As I mentioned earlier the surgeon I met with whilst in hospital seemed to go against the views of the two GI docs I've met with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated🙏🙏🙏.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

First, I would be very hesitant to have a colonoscopy while you are having a flare or just getting over one. That can be very dangerous as it can cause more irritation. I had chronic div. over about 3 months, get over it and it would come right back. GI recommended surgery but said although a colonoscopy would be good to identify exactly what/where everything is happening, that they wouldn't do it any sooner than 6 weeks after I had recovered from a flare and she didn't thinkI could stay well that long. Saw surgeon who said definitely would recommend surgery, and absolutely no colonoscopy - that a CT scan would show everything they needed to know to do the surgery. Am having it on Wednesday. I would give the antibiotics time to work - it takes a few days to really feel like the attack is better. Might need to look at a different antibiotic if you have been taking the same kind and it hasn't completely worked. That is what they did for me and I finally feel okay. If your temp goes higher and/or pain gets worse, then back to hospital. Antibiotics can cause the tummy gurgling and diarrhea.

• Posted

Mate, that's what I think as well...a CT should show most everything. it's as if I'm on a never ending marry go round...attack, meds, colonoscopy in 6 weeks. But, I can't seem to make it to the six weeks as I end up back in hospital! What to do???

• Posted

I'm so sorry. Been there in your shoes. I too have chronic acute diverticulitis. For 18 months I was in/out of the hospital, virtually lived on the antibiotics and painkillers. With chronic there is little you can do until you have surgery. Surgery is so worth getting done.

• Posted

Glad to hear your surgery helped. Little nervous about having it done on Wed. but looking forward to not always being worried about a recurence of the pain and not being able to eat much of anything. It is Thanksgiving everyday here as I just about live on turkey/chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans or carrots.

• Posted

The first thing I noticed was the absence of the continuous diverticulitis nausea which was wonderful. Even though I didn't have a choice , if I did I would have surgery.

• Posted

Let the antibiotics work! Stick to clear liquid diet. I also used a warm rice sock on my lower abdomen. I was like you terrified! Stress makes it worse! I actually went to my Dr. and asked for something to help with that. It can take months to return to normal. I know exactly what your talking about when it comes to being terrified. Just relax, take your meds and clear diet along with the heat on your abdomen and you'll be feeling better in a week or so.

• Posted

its really hard too judge it all the time, but when l feel a flare up l drink herbal tea for a day then boil low fiber veg and make mash out of them. It works for me. 4 months ago l did not know l had an abscess in my colon it burst turned me septic. I was lucky lost 3/4 of my intestines but now i try and eat very lean. l make veggie soups and freeze them as soon as l feel a twinge l go to my mush food. I was told not to be surprised if lm back in two weeks for a bag for 6 months. Thank god im coping and doing what l need to do. i allow my self wine and a little cheat food but if l do l go to my soups or mash the day after to give the colon a rest and a lot of water. I have frozen veggie soups and mash for a go to some higher in fiber and some lower. But try the antibiotics and herbal tea maybe some mashed squash and cauliflower. But if you get worse go back to hospital.

• Posted

My temp will rise to 99.5 or higher just from eating, or from stress. A recent colonoscopy was performed shortly after a suspected flare up and my GI doc caught one in action. Shortly after I had a significant flare up, so I personally subscribe to the cautionary approach of colonoscopies too soon after a bout.

• Posted

I've been out of hospital since Wednesday evening(4 day stay). Things got worse almost immediately after I was released home. My intestines have been spastic, cramping, diarrhea, etc. I asked for a surgical consult whilst in hospital. The surgeon came in on her obvious day off. If anyone's ever spoken to a surgeon then they'll know they can be an odd bunch. She teetered on arrogance tbh. I don't have to love a doc's bedside manner for them to be good at what they do so I ignored the somewhat tw*t attitude. Anyway, I think my sigmoid colon is absolutely done. I've had two hospitalizations in two months. 3 A&E visits, and now it looks like I'll be going back this morning. I'm beyond depressed😓😓😓.

• Posted

Don't settle for a surgeon in whom you don't have full confidence! Take the time to find one that is board certified in colon/rectal surgery and look on line for comments and ratings. Hospitals will often just send in a general surgeon. If that is the same one you said wanted to do a colonoscopy a week after you had a flare, I wouldn't have a whole lot of faith in her. That is an absolute no-no, and not required to have before surgery.

• Posted

I'm going to try to get an appointment with a different GI doc first thing Monday morning. With the holidays around the corner who knows.

• Posted

I'm absolutely convinced that stress is a major player in this disease and in my case, probably even more so than years of bad eating habits. My first emergency room visit was at the culmination of several major life events. It becomes an entity of it's own when you add the stress of your own health to the equation. Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.