Multiple pains in shoulders

Posted , 4 users are following.

during the last week of November 2016 I was in bed for 4-5 days with Flu...during those few days I started with shoulder pains, symmetrical in both shoulders, gradually getting worse and worse...fast forward to xmas eve, after a busy day at work I went to sleep early, waking just before midnight in tears with the pain in both shoulders....went to see my GP just after new year, he diagnosed frozen shoulder, 2,weeks later I had cortisone injections in both shoulder joints....from the next day the pain intensified to the point I couldn't drive for a week, now the pain is getting increasingly worse, now my neck is effected, getting constant headaches, pain under right Shoulder Blade when sitting or lying down,...can't take NSAIDS as allergic to them all (got 2 slipped discs in lower back too) so just taking co-codamol 30/500. My upper arms feel like they've been used as a punching bag, and a few times my hands and arms become so weak I drop things...every part of my life is effected, every activity causes pain, sleeping is becoming a thing of the past, I'm exhausted my 3pm and just want my bed. Luckily I only work part time, but involves a lot of heavy lifting, pushing, pulling. I finished work this Saturday just gone, since then I haven't the energy to even get dressed (Monday pm) some days I'm in that much pain I feel nauseous and can't face eating...had an appointment to see a PT 2 weeks ago, but that was cancelled by them, next appointment isn't until mid March now, by the time that comes around I'll have been like this almost 4 months......I've thought about going back to my GP, but all he can offer is NSAIDS, which I can't take, and injections that didn't work. I'm also thinking that the diagnosis of Frozen Shoulder isn't correct, as they both throb constantly SIMULTANEOUSLY.....so fed up, exhausted and in constant pain....anyone else suffering like this? Oh, also used to get similar pains when drinking alcohol, so not had an alcoholic drink in 5 months AND I found a lump in my armpit 6 weeks ago, but don't think it's anything sinister as it started of large and painful like a cyst, now it's just a hard lump that won't go xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I really think you should go back to your GP and get a referral for an Ultrasound. Similar problems to my shoulders that's been going on for too long, my doctor would say Frozen shoulder, muscular pain etc but there comes a point when this isn't good enough!!

I was eventually referred for an Ultrasound and it turns out I have Rotator Cuff tears, calcium and various other bits and bobs, I was told that I need Decompression surgery (still waiting).

So, definitely get back to your doctor!!

• Posted

Thank you Jane...yes, I think I'm going too...can't go on much longer, I work at a butchers and it's physically demanding, can't grip the cleavers and bone saws well, and if I've got a cow to cut up I just can't manage it.......I'm worried about surgery though, obviously they can't do both at the same time or I would be unable to do anything, and if they need to be operated on individually im going to be out of action for a long while....anyway, I'll cross that bridge if I come to it...thank you for replying to me xx

• Posted

I had dreadful pain in both shoulders and across the back of my neck. I got to the point where I could hardly get out of bed and lifting my arm to eat was agony. Then I started getting pain in both thighs. I was told I had a virus, a very long term one!! In the end I was diagnosed with the autoimmune disease polymyalgia rheumatica. You may like to Google it. The fact you can do so much lifting etc may discount it though.
    • Posted

Thank you...I can't lift as its agony, but I have to do it unfortunately, so grin and bear it ...actually dreading work tomorrow as I know by this time tomorrow night I'll be in a right state....and Wednesday and Thursday I'll be laid up.....and I love my job!...it's sooo frustrating....

• Posted

As I said look up the symptoms of polymyalgia rheumatica and see if yours are similar.
  • Posted

Dear lydia, so very sorry for your pain. It sounds just awful. Is there any possibility that there is an issue with your neck? Perhaps some nerve issues? A good doctor should be able to get to the bottom of this. It's so sad that it always takes so very long to see the correct doctor. If your doc can't figure it out, he had better refer you to an orthopedic doc. Again, so sorry for your suffering. Keep us posted. Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.