Multiple PE on both lungs-tips?!

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi, after a couple of weeks of what I considered to be pneumonia...my GP sent me to hospital to be checked as he said my shortness of breath wasn't sitting right with him as I am on the combined oral contraceptive. So off I trotted for precautionary tests to rule out PE and so I could get stronger anti-biotics and today they have confirmed I have clots on both lungs.

Gutted isn't the half of it. I am 28, (female), walk 2/3 hours a day with a few sets of dogs and have never smoked! The only risk factor is the pill.

However now I am getting over the shock (I think!) and the "woe is me" and trying to think positively.

So are there any of you lovely PE survivors able to offer a newbie some advice...about what to ask the doctor tomorrow, lifestyle changes you had to make, issues you've had...anything I might find useful?

Thanks in advance!

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hiya. Don't get upset.... we're all gonna be ok. I do know how you feel about lying in bed though. You will get better and now that you are in the tablets you won't get any further clots so use that as a positive thought. I had further bloods done after 3.5 months and that was when my results were down from 8000 to 200. Your ddimer would be raised with the pneumonia as well but 500+ is really not too high so have that in the back of your mind.

You will be tired. We're all tired and it is cos we're all poorly or have been. Take it steady and don't push yourself. ... I know I'm older than you and probably not as fit but it took me 9 weeks to feel remotely human and I still feel.shattered after a days work. However every day you will improve.

Keep smiling and maybe ask for a blood test in 3 months. I can't remember how long you have to be on the tablets of you said.

Take care and don't worry.

Sam xx

• Posted

Thanks Sam smile Just found out my three month review is going to be a telephone appointment! I thought I would get blood tests at least!

And I am trying but I am struggling. I took the dogs out and my little lad on his bike...and because he was there I probably walked quicker than I had done on other days...and I was done for by the time I got back! Was only about 40 mins. I am struggling mentally how much I can't do...but the mental struggle makes it hard for me to do what I can do....if that makes sense lol! Oh well will get there. Only just over a week into treatment now.

• Posted

It will be too early if you've only been on the medication for a week for further bloods. Just tell the doctor your concerns over the phone. Write them all down so you don't forget.

Also with your fitness don't try to do too much. It took me 7 months to start feeling better and less breathless and I still feel tired and breathless at times and it's 8 months since I was first ill. It is a slow process.

Did you get my private message through the forum?

Keep.positive xxx

• Posted

I'm really pleased that your results are looking positive and that you're out walking already. 

My clots were finally found two days before we were about to go on a skiing trip. After rather stupidly arguing with my doctor that I thought I could still make the flight I got home and pretty much collapsed on the sofa for two weeks. Once I was up and about I started going out for walks but pushed myself a bit hard. It was cold outside and we'd start our walk dressed in full winter clothes and by the time we got home I was only wearing a t shirt but still over heating and my poor wife was carrying my coat, jumper, scarf and gloves. My body thought I was running even though we were not walking that quickly.

This is going to sound odd but being diagnosed with PE's was a relief for me. My health had been deteriorating for a couple of months and I'd had various tests which seemed to rule them out. My wife and I knew there was something serious going on and by the time they did the CT scan I was in a lot of pain and very scared. When they told me what they found in my lungs I waited until they left all the bedside and cried (which isn't easy when you can't breathe in very far). It was mainly relief though. I wasn't going to die that day, or anytime soon.

I don't worry about not waking up in the morning. I'm on the right medication and now and although I'm not as fit as I was before this happened and I've put on a few pounds as I've not been as active as I was I do know I've been lucky. 

Take it easy on your body, it's been through very recent trauma and it will need a little time to fix itself. You should still find your health improves weekly and don't worry if you have a bad day or two. I expect it now.

I've been busy planning all sorts of things for this year, festival weekends in our camper and some walking trips which I wouldn't usually consider.

I ran 10k on the treadmill recently and we plan to do a few charity runs (slowly). I've also tried tai chi, Pilates, yoga and spinning (all with different degrees of success)

It may help if you plan some nice things for your family too

please, stay positive - I think you're going to be ok x

• Posted

Hello, I just found out myself that i have mulitple pes on my lower right lung. It was very scary. I had a brest ruduction and 3 weeks after i had shortness of breath. I thought i just pulled my back . Finally after 3 days i went into the er. They took a ct scan and came back saying we are keeping you. Lucky you canme in. They put me on Xarelto 2 xs a day, and kept me there for 2 days. The first two days were the worst. I felt like i had a knife in my back. It was so painfull. They tried giving me all kinds of pain meds to see if it would help and it didn't. I was on oxygen and they had told my husband that they were not sure if i was even gonna make it. Of cours at the time i didn't know that. 

The pain finnaly went away after 2 days and they sent me home. It's been a week now and im still having some trouble breathing. Going to make an apointment today with a hemotoligist. They think i might have some blood clot disorder. By the way i am non smoker 35 years old. But cardiac and blood cloting problems run in my family. My brother had a stroke and heart attack before he even turned 32. but lucky he's ok.. Just has a small lisp now. My father passed away young do to a blood clot. Just wish with all my falmily history they would of sent me to a hemotoligist sooner. Oh by the way this isn't the first time i had to go through this. In 2014 I got hit by a car walking on a side walk. The elderly lady said the tree was in the way... (there was no tree there).... Anyways. I broke my leg got banged up pretty bad. got sent home from the hospital the next day. and 3 days later got re admitted with 2 blood clots. One in my arm and one in my neck. They put me on warfren and hephen shots. That was fun. but i think that the pe;s are a little more scary. 

I have alot to do this summer. and i scared im not gonna be able to do it. If i knew this was gonna happen i would of never had my brest ruduction. but it is what it is. Im suposed to go to a musice festival end of june. My doc seemes to think i'll be fine but it's EDM. and i want to dance. I can barly climb the stairs without getting out of breath. I want to go soo bad I have been planning this for months now. I have sold out tickets and everything. I'ts a camping fest. so it's like 4 days long. I just want to be better. Anyone have any advice? Should i go.... Should i not go... will getting excited in a croud and screeming out loud be the best thing. I don't want to go and die.. You know. ugh . 

• Posted

Hello

I've got a couple of clots in each long but only small ones at the start I had to chest pain or short of breath but after a couple of weeks I did and now 2 months in still got it can't walk for more then a hour before start getting chest pressure and out of breath but everyone recovery recovery is different it can take day weeks months or years. Just listen to your body if you body doesn't feel up for it don't put yourself through it its not worth it you need time to heal. Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

I am new Bilateral PE patient.

Just freshly discharged from the hospital.

I cried my eyes out when the doctor gave me the news. But then I thought about little children that have survived horrible chemo treatments and that made my situation seem not as bad. The doctors said he expects me to make a full recovery, but that I would be on thinners the rest of my life. I said I am fine with that as long as it means I will not get more clots and continue living. The past 2 weeks I have had shortness of breath. On a whim I googled "causes of shortness of breath". PE pooped up and I started freaking out. Especially since I had DVT/blood clot 3 years ago. I went to the ER & now I plan on being a PE survivor!

I pray that we all have full recovery and live long happy lives. smile

• Posted

Should you remain on the pill?

What treatment will you have?

What to keep a eye out for?

I had multiple pe in four out of five lung lives- it took me probably 4 months to feel well and loose shortness of breath but I am a lot older!!! I had mine after surgery

Goo

Good luck

• Posted

Hello

I realise this is two years later but I’m in a similar position. 27, no history and now multiple clots in the lung tips. Limited symptoms too. 

Now two years on - what is it like for you? I feel a bit in the dark

Thanks 

• Posted

I was just discharged from hospital 1 day b4 my bday.7-11, & i feel like crap, 55 yrs old, in gym 4 days a week..and here i lie! I was in hospital when it hit me , was there 4 prostate issues, after few days in hospital...i get out of bed, n my heart went from 48 bpm to 110 in 10 secs, couldnt breathe etc..sent for cat scan..& Boom! Clot in both lungs....ICU i went , 4 or 5 days if i recall, weird part is...legs were scan...no clots so we have to find where they originated! Taking meds ! But scared & feel weak n fatigue!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.