MULTIPLE PERIODS WEEKS APART AFTER 4 YEARS OF MENOPAUSE

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all,

I am 55 years old and haven't had a period in over 4 years.  2 weeks ago I had what I thought was stomach flu; vomited for 12 hours straight, then it was over.  2 days later I had what I thought to be a full blown period; heavy bleeding, cramps, etc.  After about 9 days it stopped.  Now, a week later after that incident, I woke up with a sore throat and heavy bleeding AGAIN.  I am a little freaked out.  Has this ever happened to anyone?  I had a intravaginal ultrasound and an abdominal ultrasound about a month ago because I was really bloated and wanted to make sure all was well, and both tests were fine.   I should also mention that my pap smear 5 months ago was normal.  Are there any tests I missed?  I am going to call my doctor Monday am.  Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Do you think the ultrasounds you've had could have disturbed things a bit? Woken up your womb. I'm sorry I haven't any answers for you and I think it would be wise to speak to your doctor. I know lots of women on here have had a period/bleed after a year or so without and have been told it's quite normal so let's hope you are told the same. Keep us posted.

Take care

• Posted

Hi maisie05, 

Thanks for your reply!  I wondered that myself but I believe the bloating I had beforehand may have been an indication that something was about to happen.  What concerns me the most is the fact that I was bleeding heavily  for 9 days, and then again just a week later, very dark red blood.  I've scheduled an appointment with my physician and will keep posting in order to inform others who may be in the same situation.  

• Posted

Hi Susan

I'm going through something similar.... Haven't had a period for 12 months then had a slight bleed.

Had ultrasound... endometrial lining 11mm thick. Booked in for hysterically and endometrial biopsy on Wednesday. I'm a little concerned.

Did the doctor offer you a biopsy when you had your ultrasound?

Jess

• Posted

Hi Jess, 

No, I was not offered a biopsy.  My ultrasound was good at the time and all this occured after the ultrasound.  Did your doctor say why they want to do a hysterectomy before the biopsy?  

• Posted

No, it's a hysteroscopy to look at the lining and then take a biopsy. I had a biopsy a year ago for heavy bleeding but it came back negative. At the time my ing was 5.2mm. Now it's 11mm.

He also said he could see a mature follicle..I can't believe I have a mature follicle at 55 years old.

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I just reached menopause.....i.e..... 12 months...

I am not on HRT but I do have polycystic ovarian syndrome which could explain the thickened lining but not sure.

For the last few months I've felt like I was going to have a period but I didn't have one. .. Mentioned a slight bleed to the doctor and he referred me.

I've always had heavy periods... Had two biopsies during the last five years... this will be my third. My lining has never been this thick though. I'm concerned and can't wait to get this over with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.