Posted , 4 users are following.
I am a 19 year old female and I am genuinely worried that I may have lymphoma or something similar. I have had increasingly worsening symptoms over the past 2 (or so) years. My doctors (including haematologist) have told me they don't know what it could be as many of my test results are contradictory. I have had anxiety for my whole life, so I know in myself that my symptoms are not, at least solely, due to anxiety. I feel like such a hypochondriac, but it's getting to the point where I can't ignore it anymore. I'm sorry that this is lengthy, I would really appreciate any advice at all.
Symptoms (in order of occurrence)
2 years ago - 1.5-2cm painless, immobile, hard lump on base of skull (occipital lymph node?)... have been told it is many different things - which makes me nervous! It has grown little since that time. Ultrasound was unclear. Also one posterior auricular is a little enlarged.
1 year ago - hard, bone-like (small amount of soft tissue) lump ON clavicle bone. Painless, attached to bone itself and has grown, but very slowly. My most recent opinion was that it was 'strange' as the doctor felt it. But x-rays were again unclear, as they only showed the front-on angle and it sticks out from the side only (hard to explain).
From this point, I have had the following symptoms:
- Severe anemia - had to get iron infusion 6+ months ago in hospital as my body was not absorbing any at all. It has been okay since then but I am still taking high dose supplements.
- Frequent infections, around every 2-4 weeks including: pink eye, tonsillitis, parasitic infection, colds, oral thrush (from using asthma corticosteroids which I have used for many years without issues) etc. etc.
- Frequent fevers, chills, and flushing (daily or every couple of days) ranging from 37.5 - 39 degrees Celsius.
- Night sweats weekly / every couple of weeks, wake up in the middle of the night sweaty and feverish.
- Nausea I have reflux though, and have been taking PPI for reflux for 3 years but getting much worse despite increasing dosage.
- Weakness, fatigue feeling very exhausted, sleeping a lot more than usual - and I actually like to wake up early!
- Itchiness without a rash, happens in bouts, but not very often.
I just feel like something is really not right...
Blood tests: very contradictory. I have existing gastric inflammatory problems.
- CRP 5mg/L (0-6)
- ESR 2mm/hr (0-20) -
- Anemia (had iron infusion)
- Hypocalcemia but normal Vitamin D (despite taking supplement)
- EBV positive for past exposure
White cell counts have all reduced a lot over 1 year (used to be on the high end), but no doctors have said it's an issue...
Neutrophils 2.2 (2.0-7.5)
Lymphocytes 1.5 (1.1-4.0)
Monocytes 0.4 (0.1-1.0)
Basophils 0.04 (<0.21)
I am just worried because my symptoms are getting worse daily. My doctor originally said she was considering the possibility of lymphoma or leukemia...
(I don't think you would scare a patient unless you were serious) but when I said I had anxiety (to prove to her that it wasn't due to that), she changed her approach. I returned so much with frequent illness that she has now reconsidered what it could be and I have been referred to an endocrinologist...
I really don't want to offend people who actually have been diagnosed, I am just searching for answers to see if anyone has had a similar experience and I wish you all well. Thank you for reading, any advice would be very appreciated.
0 likes, 5 replies