Multiple tendon tears/shoulder/ diabetes/ 76 years of age

Posted , 2 users are following.

My mother is a 76 year old with Diabetes, currently going to Dialysis x 3 per Week.  Recently she had an accident that caused some severe injuries to her shoulder.

Impression:

1. Large chronic full-thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon

2. Partial tear of the superior portion of the subscapularis tendon

3. Moderate degenerative changes of the acromioclavicular and glenohumeral joints. No acute labral process is identified.

4. Tear and retraction of the long head of the biceps tendon

I fully understand why she is not a candidate for surgery, but I was also told that the shoulder will continue to deteriorate and detach, at which time her arm will be fully out of the socket. Currently it is moving freely in and out of the socket. She was seen by an ortho Dr. but he recommended PT, but then did not provide any plan of care or images.  The Therapists still don't know what the objective was because they cannot do anything to help it heel (per my conversations with them).

would anyone have feedback/ suggestions as to how I should move forward? I do believe we need a second opinion at the very least, only she is in the middle of Wyoming and there are 2 ortho doctors in the entire county and the one treating my mother has the longest medical history and he has graduated only 6 years ago.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.