Multiple tests done and still have questions...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone, I am new to this website so I'm giving this a try. For about a year or so now, I have had on and off GI symptoms that include nausea, diarehhia, and gas. With these symptoms have come headaches and fatigue.  I also get temperatures that go up to 99.2 and then I lay down and it goes back down to 98.2 again. I took blood tests and everything came back fine. No mono, no vitamin deficiencies, and blood counts and calcium levels were fine. However, I just went in for a colonoscopy and an endoscopy and they told me I have acid reflux. The Dr told me that the reflux could cause all of my symptoms except the low temps (if that even is considered a temp). Any advice from anyone who has this or has had these symptoms on what helps/doesnt help? Just diagnosed yesterday and was given a perscription of a proton pump inhibitor and just started it today. 

Thank you for the help in advance!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds more like IBS which can include heartburn and gas. I have had acid reflux for years and my symptoms have been acid, occasional nausea, chest pain and a cough but no diarrhoea.  I have never heard of change of bowel habit with acid reflux. Do you have any stomach pain that moves about, relief of symptoms after a bowel movement and food/stress triggers?  

I have IBS on top of acid reflux and have stomach pain as a main symptom. I have had change of bowel habit, back pain and nausea with it.  I would clarify your diagnosis with your doctor.

• Posted

I do have a change in bowl movements after I eat "bad foods" that are very fatty. I also get a feeling of having to go to the bathroom suddenly but not having to go.  Could the IBS cause the slight rise in temp? I dont get much stomach pain or the relief of symptoms after a bowl movement. 

Thank you,

David

• Posted

I haven't heard of having a rise in temperature with IBS.  However, everyone is different and symptoms can vary widely from person to person.  It is possible you have IBS and acid reflux.  I have the fatty food reaction too but only with a small number of foods. In the past most fatty foods disagreed with me and I had to avoid them. However, I can now eat most of them again.

If all your tests are negative, IBS can be diagnosed.

• Posted

It's more of a sick feeling than anything to be honest. Ibuprofin usually helps but it usually goes on for a week. And its a flushed feeling as well. They perscribed me a medication to tread the acid reflux so hopefully i will see results in a couple days. Thank you again!

• Posted

If you feel no better after a week, ask your doctor about IBS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.