Mum of 2 going in for a Myomectomy, Good or Bad idea?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 31 and a mum of two gorgeous boys. I knew I had this bloomin great fibroid well before I had my first baby (3 yrs) and had a good pregnancy with no problems and a normal delivery too. My second baby however was breech (because of the 10x9x9cm fibroid) and had to be delivered by c.section.

Now, call me a wimp, but I have never felt pain like I did after that c.section and am not looking forward to going through similar pain again. I could barely lift my newborn afterwards, now he is 7mths old and a real bruiser at 18lbs.....I'm just not going to be able to lift him am I let alone my toddler?

My recovery is going to be a nightmare because although my family will be around as much as I need them to be, my husband helps but he just isn't the sympathetic type and he really doesn't understand how big this op is I don't think.

I'm meant to be going in for the pre-op at the end of this month with surgery soon after but I'm just so worried about how I'll cope afterwards trying to look after my family.

Should I try something else like herbal remedies to shrink the thing, or just postpone the whole thing? I want it out because I have dreadfully painful periods and I'm fed up of people looking at me funny, thinking I look pregnant pushing my baby and toddler around the town!

Any advice or thoughts would be gratefully received. Has anyone been in a similar situation and come out the other end unscathed?

Thanks for your time.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I'm not sure what a myomectomy is, but what I can tell you is that I had a hysterectomy for a fibroid of a similar size and I can tell you its the best thing I have ever done. I had 4 children one was 4 6 8 and 11 and they were brilliant.

You will think of ways to get round the lifting with all sorts of games and bribary.

As for the pain I was terrified but to my surprise I had none and thats saying something as I suffer with a chronic pain disease. Make sure you take the pain killers on time and never miss I'm sure you will be fine.

But the best part was no more awful periods or pain I actually got my life back and the whole family gained from that due to the fact that i was so much better. I even walked down the whole of snowden 6 and 1/2 weeks after the opp. It was the best decission I have ever made and wished I hadn't delayed it by two years.

Take care and I wish you all the best.

Lizzy

• Posted

Hey Lizy,

Thank you for your time in responding to my question. I'm pleased you're fully recovered and happy with your treatment.

A Myomectomy is the removal of fibroids keeping the womb intact. (Obviously if the surgery went wrong, a Hysterectomy would be necessary.)

I'm booked in for my pre-op on the 3rd of June and I'm worrying myself stupid about the recovery and how I'll cope afterwards?

I'll keep you posted...

Thanks again.

Supa Su

• Posted

Hi Supa Su

I was terrified about the opp they even had it in my notes not to ring me to tell me the date as I new I would refuse over the phone. From me signing the consent forms I had the letter 2 days later and opp 8 days later.

I'm sure you will find ways around the limited things you can do, I take it its the same as a hysterectomy no driving and lifting for at least 6 weeks?

I promise you that its better to have it done now rather than later, you will feel so much better. It improved my marriage as well.

Lizzy

• Posted

Hey Lizy,

I went for my pre-op yesterday with the hope that I'd get a date for my Myomectomy but....the surgeon said he would recommend I have a Hysterectomy instead. Due to the size of it, he said there would be too many risks. He examined me and said it's the size of a 24 week pregnancy. (6mths) So now my dilemma is....Do I try and have another child or should I just get rid of it altogether. He said he'd leave my ovaries so basically on recovery I'd have no more painful heavy periods to deal with. Yay!

The trouble is my husband and I are only 32yrs old, we have two gorgeous little boys already but to not have that option of maybe having another, just seems wrong.

On the other hand, this fibroid is the bain of my life, it's uncomfortable, I'm always feeling bloated, I've been bleeding for I don't know how long so it's effecting my marriage in the obvious area. Plus I'm spending a fortune on sanitary stuffs all the time. Having to deal with this and look after my little boys (nearly 3yrs and 8mths) is tough. However as they get older and more independant I hope it'll get easier and I fear that if I have a hysterecomy now I'll regret not trying for another.

My husband definitely wants 1 more, but he's putting the onus on me, saying he will go with my decision as it's my body. Oh my God, I'm just so confused.

How can I live with myself if I take that option away and how can I live with this inside me either?

It's something so permanent, it's just such a scary decision to make and I'm just not in a postion to make it but I'm running out of time as I've got to get back in touch with the hospital asap.

What should I do anyone?????????!!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.