Mums an alcoholic and recently had MRI to check for liver cancer anyone have experience or advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Mums been alcoholic for 25 years suffers from korsaff Koff syndrome with cirrhosis. Have been told if she has got cancer they won't treat as not strong enough. Just looking for anyone with experience or advice?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It is difficult for anybody here to advise, not knowing your mother's full medical condition. First of all, if she is still drinking, she MUST stop. The liver has no chance of improvement if she doesn't. How bad is her Korsakoff Syndrome? Is she able to make the decision to stop drinking?

Also, how old is she?

• Posted

Mum 64 stills drinks, eats very little quiet amazingly survives on a diet of a Dairylea dunker and little else. Won't stop drinking. Has been told numerous time to stop, number of hospital admission all drink related. Has been an alcoholic over 25 years but recently been complaining of back pain.
    • Posted

If she won't agree to attempt to stop drinking, they won't give her the treatment she needs. She needs help to stop, in the form of an alcohol detox, which should be done in hospital with her health being so affected already. See if you can persuade her to try it by telling her that alcohol detox is a comfortable way to stop drinking. Detox won't stop her returning to drinking, but it will at least give her some thinking time while not under the influence of alcohol and you and the doctors may get further persuading her of how serious the situation is.

• Posted

Sending thoughts of peace and love.  I can't imagine the pain you are going through.  I am trying really hard to turn my life around so my daughter doesn't have to go through what you are going through with your mom.  Alcoholism is a disease that never goes away and for some it they have a constant battle everyday.  Your story helped me so much.  Thank you Littlejuju.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.