mums copd

Posted , 5 users are following.

my mum has just been dignosed as being on the border line off having copd she has bin given new inhasrlers which seem to be having a small efect on but she has never smoked but she has worked in pubs for along time the doctors say that it has come from working in the pubs im just hoping that she dosent get really bad with it sad [/b]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

H Shakira,

I'm sorry your Mum has been diagnosed with COPD but try not to worry too much. There are things your Mum can do to help with this condition.

Like using her inhaler at the right times. Getting some gentle exercise each day, without exhausting herself. Resting in the day when she feels the need to and eating well.

If you are at all worried or have any questions, we have a COPD discussion group. If you would like to join just email me and I will send you the link.

Warmest regards

Tessa

• Posted

I cured myself of laryngospasms by taking a small amount of Magnesium suppliment each day. ( 1/2 RDA)

A friend of mine's wife has COPD and I found on the net that Mg was good for the lung muscles. She started to take 200mg of Mg per day about a month ago. Recently her doctor put an Oxymeter on her finger and then told her that her lungs showed some improvement.

Now that all maybe a coincidence, but time will tell.

If you google \"Magnesium\" you will find out, as I did, what a wonderful mineral it is and that many are deficient to a small or greater degree.

The foods containing the most Mg are those seldom eaten....

(Soyabean/spinach/Halibut etc)

Good luck.

Albert.

• Posted

I suffer with depression as well as COPD and I take magnesium on a daily basis. It definitely helps depression but as I've been taking it a long time I cannot tell if it helps with COPD. Interesting though
  • Posted

Hi Shakira

Welcome to Patient UK.

So sorry to hear about your Mum - unfortunately passive smoking can damage the lungs as much as actually smoking and I'm guessing your Mum was working in the pub in the days when everyone was allowed to smoke in her place of work.

Its good though that your Mum has been diagnosed in the early stages of the disease as there is much as individuals can do, to help slow the progress of COPD, such things as taking regular exercise each day, avoiding air borne toxins including those found in household cleaners, eating a good diet, avoiding passive smoking and avoiding contact with people who have colds or flu. Also taking medication regularly as prescribed by her doctor.

Having an annual flu vaccine is also advantageous and your Mum may want to speak with her doc about the pneumonia vaccine too, in order to help protect her lungs.

The pulmonary rehabilitation course mentioned in another thread may be something your Mum may want to investigate through her GP, especially if she is finding the breathlessness is affecting her fitness levels.

I hope this information has been of some help. Please come back any time if there is anything else we can help you with or maybe your Mum would like to join us here too.

Good wishes to you and your Mum

[b:af241f1372][size=18:af241f1372]V[/size:af241f1372][/b:af241f1372]

• Posted

Hi Jeanni,

Interesting you posting about magnesium at this time. I have just started to bathe in Epsom salts which is supposed to be magnesium sulphate. Apparently our body can absorb the magnesium through the skin and is supposed to be beneficial for breathing. To early for me to tell yet, but I may look for a supplement and try it. thanks for your post. God bless.

Regards,

Robert.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.