mums crying

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi.mum has had alzheimers for 7 years now.shes been in hospital for the last 3 months and is now unable to walk.she,s always cried a bit with this terrible disease but now shes crying all the time especially when we leave the hospital to go home.asking to come home.its heartbreaking.what can we do

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Patty my heart aches for you. My father was the same especially for me. Is mum normally at home with you??

Some suggestions a Teddy Bear can often help or a baby doll, that she can cuddle. It is not belittling them if it makes her happy. Can you take in a radio/ tape deck so she can listen to her preferred music.

It is so hard when they can no longer walk as they are stuck waiting for people to say hello, chat a while. Photos may help.

Or leave a list of things she used to like doing.... dancing, gardening, cooking so staff know what to chat about.

• Posted

Hi Linda....thanks for your kind words...we do all the things you suggested...sometimes it helps other times nothing brings a smile to her....ive told the doctors she's very depressed and have asked for anti depressants but she keeps getting poorly so they put it off...she is on my mind constantly..xx

• Posted

Unfortunately Patty, doctors do not like giving antidepressants to people with dementia as it can deepen the dementia. Have they considered whether she is in pain. Some regular pain relief may help. Even a urinary tract infection can cause them great distress and unfortunately are very common when they no longer walk. I would ask to get the pain and UTI checked out first. After all a level of arthritis pain in almost a given in aged care.
  • Posted

Hi patty.

my heart goes out to both you and your Mum.  I don't have any advice or can I help, but that doesn't stop me for feeling deeply for both your plights. it sounds you are being very kind to her and that means a lot.

Caitlin.

• Posted

Thank you Caitlin...this dreadful illness is torture for us all....we just try to make her happy...but she's confined to bed and she was always on the go...day by day is the only way....i cant bear the future....xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.