Mums Stroke

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, my mum experienced an evolving ischemic stroke 3 months ago. Intially when she was admitted to hospital, she was doing well. She had only lost some power on her left side, until 5 days later she took a turn for the worst and lost all abilty to communicate. She has made a great recovery and is back home, but she has been left with a commuication problem. She has the abilty to speak, read and write really well, but is unable to understand when someone speaks to her. She says she can just hear nosies but not words. We have invested in hearing aids in both ears as were were informed by the hospital that it could be a hearing issue. To our disappoitment, this has not made any difference. We are at a loss as to where we go next as we havent had much advice from the medical professional on this either. Has anyone experienced this? Is this likely to fix itself in time, or will this be something that will never repair? Any feedback would be great. She is 78 years old and was fit as a fiddle. Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not much advice from the medical profession - welcome to the club, most are left to cope on their own once discharged.

Whether the problem fixes itself or not in time is impossible to tell.

My advice would be to get her to her GP and get her referred to a rehab hospital to have her evaluated and see if anything can be done.

I would also suggest you maybe ask the question on the face book group Different Strokes as there are far more people there and you might find someone in similar circumstances.

I am not a doctor, but I find the relapse strange. perhaps she had another mini stroke whilst in hospital.

• Posted

Thanks for your feed back. Yes the relapse was also something that wasnt really explained enough either. Thanks for the suggestion on facebook also.
  • Posted

Hi 

Sorry to hear about your mum, I am sure if you ask her gp doctor he will give directions

I am in Australia and I joint a research group they help us with the recovery

I hope she gets better soon

• Posted

get a speech therapist The first 6 months is the best for recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.