Mural nodules on complex cysts

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone tell me what are mural nodules are on cysts? I had my 3 rd ultrasound two weeks ago showing this and thick septations and now I have been urgently referred to gun/onc as cysts have changed. can mural nodules be benign as all I see is cancer thanks Michelle xx

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I was exactly the same. Mine had nodules and everything I read was bad and scary. I can tell you mine wasn't cancer. It was borderline but all I have to get is scans every 6 months to keep an eye on it. Hope this helps xx
    • Posted

Hello and thanks so much sue !! I'm scared as the appearance of the cysts have changed To multi cystic with solid bits and mural nodules.andyes when you read it's just awful.i remember talking to you before yours was a very large cyst if I recall? What other features did yours have sue? I have 3 in right ovary largest cyst is 20 x14 mm and other two slightly smaller.when I had my March scan them had a meeting and now im being treat as urgent and had a mri yesterday and consultant tomorrow,all This after just having scans since November !!! Did you have to have an mri? Xxx
    • Posted

Hi Michelle, I hope that your consultation goes well tomorrow!  With the cysts changing, maybe they will go ahead and do surgery.  I'm sending positive vibes your way!  Keep us posted.
    • Posted

Thank you I am panic stricken as its all just like going so fast now after not ha of just being watched via scans.i had my Mri yesterday and another ca 125 but to refer me to gyn/onc is terrifying me.good luck tomorrow Elizabeth I will be thinking of you make sure you let us know how you are take carexx
    • Posted

I understand.  My gyn ordered the CA 125 and other tests to determine whether or not to refer me to an oncologist for the surgery.  In your case, a referral to an oncologist is a precaution; the odds are still high that your cysts are benign.  It does go faster when they get into so much testing.  I'll still have to wait for my post-op pathology to know what is in the ovarian mass, and even w/good lab results I know nothing is guaranteed yet.  I'll be thinking of you and do feel free to send a PM if you need to chat or vent!  
    • Posted

Oh I do hope you're right Elizabeth.its the mural nodules I have 1 in each cyst and still not clearly sure what they are but I'm scared. plesse let me know how you get on and of course I will pm you thank you Michelle xxx
    • Posted

Yep it was big, about 30cm when removed. It was the same, nodules, septated etc. I think I had a smaller cyst as well but it was all removed along with the ovary. I had the ultrasound then a ct scan. Then my operation, was all very quick which makes it more terrifying. When cysts are small they usually just watch which is what they seem to have done. They've kept an eye on you so any changes are recent and hopefully they can remove them as swiftly. I know you'll still stress regardless but try relax at least they're dealing with everything quickly. Good luck, let us know how you get on xx
    • Posted

Yes they're dealing quickly now as soon as Marchs scan showed mural nodules and solid bits they had a meeting its been scary I had mri yesterday and appt tonorrow even in the letter it said surgery likely and that's without seeing the mri report so it's just scared me but I will try my best to think positive and if it is anything fingers crossed it's early xxx
    • Posted

Definitely know that feeling... first report I had was CT scan mentioning enlarged ovary, with measurement, as a "nonspecific finding"... was totally panicking!  When ultrasounds confirmed and we were waiting for labs, it was unbearable after gym went over all the possibilities.  I think it is good that they will likely do surgery and remove those for you, and with your gyn saying not to worry, likely you will be fine!  
    • Posted

So they didn't see ur mass on ct but did on ultrasound ? That's interesting xx
    • Posted

That's right.  It is contained within the ovary and nothing else showed up.  The uterine polyp showed up when they did the ultrasound, and they confirmed then as well that there was nothing else anywhere else.  But yes, having just that CT scan report at first was maddening!  It is a process for sure.
    • Posted

Hi Michelle... I posted a separate post-surgery update in the forum... had an unexpected result that turned out to be good news.  Recovering now at home.  Will look for you in the other post discussion.
  • Posted

Hi Michelle

i have read that many cysts with mural nodules turn out to be benign. I hope  you get some answers tomorrow and the news is good. Let us know how you get on xx

• Posted

Oh that so good to hear can I ask you where have you read this as I can't find anything positive on them.i had March scan and this is where the mural nodules and solid bits started to happen so I know this urgent Mri and being referred to gyn/onc is scary but needs to be looked into.i told them in feb my cysts are changing and gyn said they're not getting bigger and there's no blood flow so don't worry thank you again xx
    • Posted

Hi Michelle

I can't remember where I read it but it was on an ovarian cyst forum somewhere (I have read so many over the last few weeks!).  Someone had posted that their scan had shown mural nodules and someone replied that mural nodules were solid pieces on/in a cyst that had to be investigated as some are suspicious but many are benign (words to that effect).

I hope your appointment went ok today and has eased your mind a bit, I know it's not easy not to worry though, I'm the same.

Please let us know how you got on xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.