Muscle aches

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have been on Levothyroxine for about 3 months now. Since starting it I have been getting a lot of muscle aches, like in my legs, my back and shoulders. Is this normal? And is this anything to worry about? 

Please answer, thank you! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Side effects with Levothyroxin are many and varied, it effects different people in different ways. Not good but that's it really unless you can afford NDT privately via a private Doctor, which really isn't fair. I did look into this, the cost of NDT Natural Desicated Thyroid isn't too bad, but add onto that the cost of an appointment with a private GP and a prescription and it becomes expensive. Difficult for me as I'm now on a pension.

• Posted

Rosie, I’m pretty sure we’ve talked about it, but you can get ThyroGold without a prescription. Also I’ve been doing well on the essential amino acid complex. I had a setback with the cold weather and I’ve added a phenylalanine supplement as well. The combo seems to work well for me and I’m delighted to be free of the hassle of thyroid meds!
  • Posted

Hi Laila, I’ve seen many posts here on complaints of muscle aches- your symptoms are typical.  You’ll want to read up on the side effects of your medication’s side effects, as the muscle pain could indicate the early stages of fibromialgya, arthitis or other autoimmune disease. As levothyroxin is known to cause and worsen autoimmune disease. 

You can do an online search for the manufacturer, or read the insert given with your prescription (they give the info sheets out with meds when you pick up any prescription, here in the US. I assume it’s the same in most countries). 

Doctors generally are not well versed in the side effects of medications, so you’re not likely to get any help inquiring there. Sometimes pharmacists can be helpful.

However, it is generally believed that thyroid replacement is the only option for treating hypothyroid disease, which means also, that the accepted belief is that you’re stuck with the side effects of thyroxin medications. This is a very old fashioned way of thinking, as there are many effective non traditional options for treatment of thyroid disease that do not have the side effects of synthetic medications.  

• Posted

You arenT taking statins as well are you?    They are contra indicated with thyroid medication as the chances of getting long lasting myalgia are vastly increased.

there are three different brands of levothyroxine available in the uk.....    have you been on the same brand  all the time?   Might be time to try a different one.    Teva seems to be the brand that most people complain about.       All the meds contain levothyroxine, but have different fillers and binding agents.

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked?     Low vitamin D seems to run concurrently with low thyroid levels and can cause all sorts of aches and pains....  if your doc wonT run the test, you can get it done via the nhs laboratory, via a fingerprick test which you post to them.   Its about £13. Will see if i can find the details. And add them...

xx

• Posted

Ah.....  found the vit d test, but its £28 not £13....     see if you can get it done via doctor before shellling out...  

x

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.