Muscle and joint pain post predisone

Posted , 4 users are following.

i was on 60 mg of predisone for 7 months and tapered off by April. I still have muscle and joint pain in my hips and thighs which I never had before prednisone. I continue to be active but I am often in agony despite chiropractic treatment for tendinosis.

is this normal? Does anyone else have this issue?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

WEre you diagnosed with GCA and/or PMR? The dosage sounds like GCA and you should still be on prednisone. PMR has the symptoms you describe and usually accompanies GCA. You should ask your questions on Healthunlocked as this site has lost most responders to answer your questions. Once on long term prednisone, your adrenal glands cease functioning and you must gradually taper off but not after seven months. Few PMR patients can stop pred after two years and most remain for six years or longer. If you have PMR, starting dosage ranges from 15 to 25 mgs. More information is needed.

• Posted

Why were you put on to prednisone in the first place? Was it for PMR or GCA?

If it was PMR - it is almost never done and dusted in 7 months. One in five patients is able to stop pred inside a year, one in three inside 2 years. About half need pred for about 6 years or more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.