Muscle Contraction Headaches. Help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm Adam, 16 and I consider myself to be relatively fit and healthy. However, over the past 2 months I have been getting mild "headaches" which occur on most if not all days. They do not last all day as they come and go and occur on different spots of the head. I know which spots these are as they are sore when pressed on.

I have been to the doctor who advised me to get my eyes checked to see if it was eye strain however, my tests showed my eyes were healthy. After Christmas I went back to the doctor (at this point I was seriously worried about my headaches being a result of a brain tumour), he asked if I had any other symptons (nausia, dizzines) which I did not and whether they ever woke me up in the night, again the headahces were not painful enough that I would wake from my sleep.

In the end, he suggested that it could be because of a muscle contraction headache (muscles in head are not relaxed, could be caused by stress as well as many other things), very common in teens, which he then perscribed tablets which were to be taken over a 4 week period.

Now, I am just on the two week mark and have noticed only a slight difference in the pattern of the headaches. Before they use to start about 30 minutes after I wake up and become most painful on the afternoon and towards the evening. Now I have noticed that they tend to go away around 11am for a short period but become more persistant around 2pm.

What do you think is the cause of my headaches? Do you think it's a muscle contraction headache, a brain tumour headache or something else entirley? I have never had headaches like this before and as you can tell I am very worried.

If you can give me advice I would be extremely greatful.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am exactly the same but I got told it was tension headaches which I have no other symptoms for it. They stopped for awhile and now come back and days there are terrible and last for hours, I'm also looking for answers. I hope you get better so I couldn't answer your question, I just need answers my self.
  • Posted

I am the same - I have had these 'tension type' headaches for over 2 years now - all the doctors do is give you painkillers which don't work!. I am now trying cranial osteopathy which I have to pay for as doctors never refer anyone for alternaive therapies. I have had 2 sessions and they do seem to be helping - only time will tell.....

• Posted

Adam

Do not think the worse and do not search on the internet!

Have you thought about neck physiotherapy.  Today, I've been advised to try it so have a word with the doctor and see if he/she thinks it might be worthwhile.

Make sure you are keeping yourself well hydrated by drinking for England and take exercise sufficient enough to produce a light sweat.  I've been suffering with headaches recently and it's been exercise (riding a stationary bike at the lowest incline for about 20 minutes, stretching and 20 press-ups) plus drinking lots of water (not fizzy drinks) that has kept me from going insane.  I am anti-tablets unless I have no alternative.  

Watch your posture too. Spine problems affect the whole body and not just the back....as I was told today! 

• Posted

Adam, it can be a real nuisance. What tablets did your doctor give you? 

Try stopping caffeine (tea, coffee, energy drinks, coke). Keep a diary of the timing, intensity and painkillers taken, so that you can show your doctor on your next visit. If you are using screens a lot then make sure you have a break every 30-40 minutes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.