Muscle cramps and spasms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone! I had hyperthyroidism since 2004 but I only started medicating this year. started with 30 mg methimazole and 40 mg Propranolol. No I'm down to just 10 mg methimazole. but 2 months ago I started getting muscle cramps all over my body. and the one in my stomach is the most unbearable. Does anyone ever experience this when you were medicating? It's making my life really hard, I don't even want to go out anymore coz I'm afraid that I might get cramps while on the road. Thanks in advance!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

When you are running hyperthyroid, you lose vitamins, minerals and amino acids from your muscles and replacing these helps with getting into remission.  The cramps especially are caused by a lack of the amino acid Carnitine.  There were a few medical research papers published on this by the same endocrinologist.  He recommended that hyperthryoid patients take 3,000 to 4,000 mg of Regular L-Carnitine along with their prescribed meds.  This helped me a lot.  I got tested for Free and Total Carnitine and I was deficient.  I was also deficient in Vitamin D and low in Magnesium.  
    • Posted

Hi Linda! Thanks for the answer. I will mention it to my doctor on my next appointment. I appreciate the help a lot! Thanks!
  • Posted

When I was on high dosage such as yours my body got this muscle spams and cramping.  I believe from carbimazole.  And sometimes when i extract muscle movement I would get this spasm around my heart area.  But now that my endo tethered down my dosage to 2.5mg per day. I'm ok but it took me a year to get that muscle spasm out.  Now since you just started meds. I agree with LInda get your Vitamins in check make youre not deficient in them as this helps your TSH go on the positive side. 

• Posted

Hey hypno, I also experience that spasm/cramping on the left side of my chest. Sometimes I can't help to think that I'll get a heart attack soon. Its really scaring me. After 2 weeks my med will be cut down to just 5 mg. Hopefully thr cramping would also start disappearing as well. Will do what you and Linda mention and have my vits checked out. Thanks!

• Posted

yeah in jan 2016 i was snowboarding then all of a sudden i got this spasm near my heart i thought i was going to get heart attack.  i drank water and relieved it but just scary.  my endo agreed to order magnesium and vit d blood test but she refused on total free and ester carnitine. But i got it checked anyways by a family dr. although she doesn't know how to treat it. total and free normal but my ester is low(something about brain thing). 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.