Muscle cramps in different places of the body

Posted , 2 users are following.

My wife recently has muscle cramps frequently. they are triggered easily, like lifting up her leg to reach her shoe, getting out of a car. So the cramps happen in different places - neck, back, thigh, leg - depending on the body movement. They are just cramps, no twitching. Her doctor suspects it's caused by deficiency of vitamin D. Although I am not so sure since the symptoms developed suddenly. I am wondering if anyone has similar problem, or any advice. Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have they tested for low vitamin D, i had exceptionally low D and was having cramp regularly and so bad it could happen for no reason and be spasms that could knock me off my feet, high dose D and much better thank goodness.

Hasn't gone completely but much better after a year

• Posted

Thanks for the suggestion. She has started taken 1,000IU vitamin D, but I'm not sure if that's enough. I've seen 10,000 or even 50,000IU sold on Amazon. Can I ask how much you have been taking?

Also, I forgot to mentioned that we first noticed her muscle cramps after she has started taken medication for her hyperthyroid, although her doctor said very unlikely it is caused by the medication, and around the same time her test showed her Vitamin D is low (around 18).

• Posted

Dont take more than 10000 iu as that could cause more problems, what did GP recommend, i would suggest you buy them from a chemists not offline if you can

I was prescribed 10000 iu by my GP mine was 3, very low.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.