Muscle Cramps, lower left abdomen, possible hernia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello all!

I am fed up with Kaiser's lack of answers and am hoping to get some insight here.

Every once and a while I get a muscle cramp on my left front abdomen, about to the left of my belly button. it is usually brought on by muscle usage, twisting the wrong way, but can also be brought on my holding in gas (like at work). tonight was brought on my turning to lay on my left side, after a few days of strenuous coughing from a cold.

My initial thought was it's some sort of IBS, but the pain is so sharp when it happens and you can even feel a hard throbbing lump in my stomach as it's happening. this lead me to believe it was a hernia. After going to the Dr and doing an ultra sound, there was no visible sign of a hernia. with that the Dr dismissed me and called it a day.

it still happens and when it does the pain is unbearable. I have to twist and stretch, all while having my hand pushed into my stomach to find comfort. the pain literally feels like one of my muscles have slipped underneath another. I'm even sore for a day or two after an "episode".

a little backstory, 5 years ago I had VSG weight loss surgery. I got down to 200 pounds from 330, but am now back to 260. I cannot figure out if this is weight related, but not having any answers is so frustrating.

any advice is welcome!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

just my personal experience over the years, 40 or so years.. If I have left side sharp pains as you are mentioning, its my colitis flaring up. If I accidentally consume one of my food allergens, my colitis goes nuts!!

May be different for you?

I've had several hernias, they never hurt at all.. Sounds digestive to me?

I have a wealth of info on healing the body from an old Dr I was blessed to have gone to. He had ethics, no kidding!!

• Posted

Have you seen a gastroenterologist or tried simethicone anti-gas pills? Hernias can usually be felt.

• Posted

A hernia would be visible and would be able to be felt without an ultrasound. Since your doctor has ruled this out, accept this.It sounds like a pulled muscle since you describe the pain coming on after a number of muscle strains. Pulled muscles can take up to eight weeks to heal. Try painkillers for your pain. Don't hold gas in because it will cause it to get trapped and this can cause pain; let the gas out. Above all, do not worry!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! out of curiosity, would a pulled muscle like this happen off and on in the same spot for over 2 years? I'm curious if that's the case, did my muscles get messed up from being over weight, losing weight, and gaining weight again

• Posted

If you keep pulling the same muscle, the pain will be triggered again and again. I did something to my shoulder and the pain keeps coming back with varying degrees of severity. If it is muscular, the pain will eventually settle by resting the area affected and trying to avoid the movements that caused the pain in the first place.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.