Muscle cramps & nerve pain after ankle arthroscopy.

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had ankle arthroscopy about 2.5 weeks ago. The doctor removed a floating piece of bone from previous fractures, cleaned out arthritis and debrided the area, as well as creating a few microfractures to try and get the area to heal itself. I was in a splint for 2 weeks and non weight bearing. At 2 weeks I was put in a boot and was told to use a cane and only put around 25 lbs on that foot. I also received a prescription for PT, which I will start this week. I had some pain for a couple days but not awful. I have been dealing with muscle cramps and nerve pain ever since the scope. I have dealt with muscle cramps that start at the top of my foot and go up my shin. My foot had pins and needles on the bottom when I first started walking. I have also had tingling on the top of my foot by my big toe and 2nd toe and going up towards my ankle. But tonight's experience is the worst yet. Tonight I had horrible stabbing pain on the top of my foot, between the big toe and 2nd toe. It came on suddenly and actually made me scream and lasted about 45 seconds. I took my boot off and rubbed it. I kept the boot off and elevated it. While elevating it I had another extremely sharp pain in the same location that again made me scream and lasted for 30 seconds. Has anyone else experienced something like this? What was the problem and how did you help it?

Here's the back story to explain my injury and why I needed the surgery.

4 years ago I broke my ankle, specifically the dome of the talus. I broke off a piece at the top of my talus. They did an ankle scope shortly after the injury and removed the loose piece of bone and drilled a few holes into the dome of the talus to stimulate blood flow and healing. Almost a year ago I broke the same ankle in almost the exact same way. After that break I was non weight bearing for a few weeks and then in a boot. A month and a half ago I thought I broke it again and I was sent to have an MRI. The MRI showed there was a piece of bone that was floating loose in the joint, as well as prior high grade sprains and fibrous tissue.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.