Muscle damage due to incorrect handling of red light therapy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had an accident few years back with an injury to my right shoulder and upper back. It wasn't a major injury but big enough to restrict my right hand usage. The query right now is not about that injury but regarding muscle atrophy/damage while undergoing red light therapy (non - professional) for the earlier injury. Miscommunication led to usage of red light for more than the intended time on my neck- shoulder intersection and right elbow. The light being a powerful one literally shrunk/burnt/loosened up my muscle around both the regions. The sternocleidomastoid muscle (and probably other surrounding muscles too)was damaged and got loosened up so much it was going the edge of my cheek bone. My neck structure got changed on the right side. I could feel the lack of muscle around the larynx which got shifted towards right side. The muscle around the elbow region is not building up. I think the tendons around these muscles also got damaged. Will the situation be back to normal with proper physiotherapy and nutritional (protein) diet.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Red light therapy is just a "Heat Lamp". All it does is heat the skin so muscles can relax. Nothing more really. It would never cause that sort of damage. A child could put a heat lamp on you. The only damage you could get at worst, is a burn from the lamp being too close.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.