Muscle fatiguability?

Posted , 9 users are following.

This is my first post here. I am a big guy, 6'4 and muscular, and have been doing fairly well after being diagnosed (after many tests) with FMS 13 years ago. However, over the past three months I have experienced new symptoms which are pretty worrying. My muscles twitch everywhere, eyes, torso, limbs etc., and, more alarmingly, mere seconds after starting to use my hands the muscles in my arms and fingers feel completely exhausted, as if I've been lifting weights. This happens when cutting food, holding down a button on my phone to leave a voice message, brushing teeth etc. I can reproduce twitching by exerting a muscle, for instance, pursing my eyes shut will lead to eye twitching, continuing for a minute thereafter. I went to the Neuro, he did more scans of brain and neck which were clear (again), and said I should live with it. Do any of you have muscles which fatigue so quickly, but recover within minutes, only to fatigue again when they are used? Thanks in advance - I am trying to re-assure myself!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello wern777

do you think that you've been stressing yourself (physically) you mentioned you were muscular.

Have you been training hard?

Maybe stress from work?

Emotional stress?

Don't ignore BTW your symptoms are signals telling you your body isn't working as it should.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia....i believe it to be , at its core the autonomic nervous system being dysregulated.

Due to stress - of some type or maybe multiple stressers.

• Posted

Hello modelar - and thanks for the thoughts.  I have not been training harder than usual, but there has been a lot of work pressure.  I find it difficult to judge whether I am stressed, I always have. My wife's feedback is that I have been carrying too much in that regard, hence your comment could be on point.  I also agree with your take on FMS, hence the sleep, digestive and pain issues most of us experience.  Thanks again, Wern

• Posted

Ok, look up mycoplasma infections. It's very interesting that fibro is pegged to one of them. Chronic fatigue seems to be pegged to another. You are going to have to do the research on this, I cannot remember if it is Mycoplasma fermentes or another one. there are quite a few. Difficulty is obtaining bloods Also ensure rickettsia is not at the root of it all so there is something called a rickettsia screen. A little research really opens your eyes. Best of luckx

• Posted

Thanks Sky - I found a few interesting articles regarding Mycoplasma fermentans.  The jury seems to be out on the link as far as FMS goes.  But very interesting none the less. Appreciated, Wern
  • Posted

It may be that you are mineral depleted. Or a lack of Magnesium. Have you consulted with a naturopath? Vitamin or mineral depletion can cause all kinds of symptoms. Maggie 
    • Posted

Thanks for the feedback Magpie2me - I have had extensive blood work, and it seems Vitamin D is low.  Nothing that could cause the twitching and muscle exhaustion though.  Thank you again.
  • Posted

I don't think they check for mineral deficiencies however Wern. Gold, Silver, Copper, etc. What about a mineral supplement? A deficiency can affect the nervous system. 

Maggie

• Posted

Good point - the usual suspects, specifically magnesium etc., were checked.  But nothing deeper than that. Just before this all started, I was taking a plethora of herbal supplements to help with digestion, so I'm also thinking that this may be linked.  I am willing to try anything at the moment, after the dead-end reached with Neuro and GP, so I'll be looking into mineral supplements this week.  

• Posted

Hi wern, 

I'm a twitcher too. My face twitches and muscles fatigue immediately like lactic acid has built up in seconds.

very frustrating and irritating but part of the deal.

xx

• Posted

So sorry to hear that you are battling too EarthaKitt.  It gives me some perspective though, knowing that I'm not the only one battling this muscle fatigue thing. Your mention of a lactic acid buildup feeling is spot on! Wishing you a good week, and thanks again, Wern

• Posted

Hello  I have the same symptoms with muscle twitching in random areas of my body.  If I stretch my legs too far out I activate a muscle cramp on my calves. I'm also starting to notice weakness of my fingers and weakening of my arms and legs. My doctor suggested I try swimming , yoga, acupuncture. Have you tried any of these? Did it help?

• Posted

hi. I have exactly the same symptoms. twitches and real fast lactic acid feeling ( cutti

g veggies and Im a lifter/athlete/mtn biker.... I can tell you my forearms shoul dnt be in lactic acid cutting vedgies....). im maxed put on all the possible minerals, tried avupuncture, osteo, stretching. it may have to do with Trauma release: working on that...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.