Muscle hardness what helps

Posted , 9 users are following.

Im new to this group I’ve recently had posterior hip replacement (left). I’m 28 over all healthy besides my congenital hip dyslpasia. My muscles on my thigh are so hard and are very painful to strech. My leg is numb from the top all the way to my ankle on the front parts of my leg but the muscle hardness is unbearable it’s comes and goes with sharp pains. Can anyone give me some insight on what to do to lessen the pain? I’m on oxycodon and a muscle relaxer but it’s not cutting it. Are they any foods or herbal remides anyone has used and worked for them? Anything helps and is appreciated thank you 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have this with my gluteus muscle it goes rock hard n it hurts n sore x I had a rotated muscle and have been told it’s where it was put back where it should be the pain/ache also runs down to my knee physio day it needs strengthening when I’m resting the ache goes only happens when I use my leg the stiffness I get to stops me from walking properly and I also think my leg is a bit longer I see surgeon on Friday I will take a list of questions 
  • Posted

Mrs Riprock. First of all how long ago did you have your surgery and what does your dr say about this ?    Are you going to physical therapy?   The numbness doesn't sound good.  With me I am 4weeks out and had a horrific swelling. As hard as it was the more I walked the better the stuffiness got   I had to do lots of elevating of my leg and lots of ice .   If you dont get anywhere with your ortho dr can you call your regular dr?   I had a stabbing pain in my foot but the ice helped that.   The 

Numbness should be addressed .   Do t be afraid to re call your dr.  I went in to see mine twice in my first week went to er and then finically went to my regular dr before I could get my problem solved.  Don't give up.  There is light at the end of the tunnel.   Good luck and you aren't alone. this group is good with answers.  Hope you get feeling better soon. Also ask your dr about surgical stalking .

• Posted

You could have nerve damage. I was put on a short course of Amitryptaline by my GP.. the harness in the muscles could be they are just healing. I saw an Osteopath and also had a deep tissue massage by a sports physio. I am 2yrs out and still get some hardnes and tightening. From what I remember of my early days I was in awful pain and oxycodon didn’t touch it. That’s when I discovered the nerve damage. I had a problem with foot when nerve removed and was put on gabapentin by GP for that which helped tremendously. If you are still a few weeks out of  seeing your surgeon do see your GP if you can’t see surgeon soon you may have added complications because can of your hip dysphasia your muscle learnt to work in a different way for all those years. Good luck 

• Posted

Hi there, I ,too have congenital bilateral hip dysplasia, and muscle spacicity had become my new reality till now. My tendons around my hips were so tight they felt like rubber bands ready to snap. I lived on very strong pain killers and muscle relaxants. It has been months since my left hip resection and 4 months since my right hip replacement. My physiotherapy concentrate s on stretching at least 3 times a day, a lot of breathing exercises and visualizing where it is tight. My new home is the therapy pool with Jets and I spend 2 hrs every day. I am now meds free and my legs feel great. Deep massages also work but hurt like hell. So stretch, do all your exercises and go soak or swimming in a hot pool. Little by little you will get better. Baby steps and push thru.
  • Posted

Hi MrsRiprock. I’m 35 and due a hip replacement next week after several PAOs as a child and young adult. I had nerve damage in my thigh which left my thigh muscles very sore periodically over the years. My physio greatly helped, as did using a rolling pin to massage! I hope it’s not nerve damage but if it is most damage comes back, I had mine for a few months after my last POA, then pins and needles and then almost perfect sensation after around 3-4 months. Hope you’re ok. X 
  • Posted

I have had a similar experience.  I am now 10month out.  The only thing so far that I have found that helps is Accupuncture.  I wish you the very best

• Posted

Hi. I experienced some tightness in my thigh with my first THR anterior approach. Walking helped some but sitting seemed to make it worse. Stretching would help but once I sat too long I felt the tightness again. 

The one thing that really helped was deep tissue massaging. I had a few knots in my thigh, scar tissue of course and just tight  muscles. I felt so much better after a couple of massages. 

I just had my other THR 7 days ago and I already feel my buttocks tightening as I walk and when I sit. I don’t know if this is just the muscles doing it on their own or if it’s me tightening in order to protect myself from pain or injury. 

Hope all gets better for you. You are so young. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.